1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Obama helpfulness?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by eggfooyoung, Sep 5, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That used to be the norm, now it's outside the box thinking.

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My kid is going to school for pretty damn close to free. I think I'm about $900 out of pocket this year. He got decent grades, worked hard at his sport, and decided on the local university so that he can live at home. It can be done.

Montoya and TurboBlew like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The point is that that should be the rule, not the exception. Most people get sucked in by the school’s sales team who will gladly walk them through the loan app process and encourage them to borrow as much as possible. Then you have all kinds of money grabs: housing, books, lab fees, tech requirements, etc, etc.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This is called a life lesson. You need to let people learn
    the lesson so that it stops happening.
    You won't believe this, but not everyone
    else is an idiot.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why "let them learn the lesson"? Why not tell them about it beforehand so they don't have to suffer through it?

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The information is there and you don't have to look very hard. Do you buy a car or a house without doing research? A phone? or do you just believe what the salesman tells you?

7. In Your Corner

Because that doesn't teach the lesson.
    Everyone knows about it now and it doesn't seem
    to stop people from taking the loans.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sure, but why are we so cool with the willful misinformation? Whatever happened to honesty and trust? Especially in the case of people/things in a position of of (supposed) respect and authority like our education system, government, healthcare system, etc?

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Because the brainwashing works. Because both parents and kids are led to believe a series of lies from the beginning: first being that college is for everybody, second being that the only way to be successful is to go to college.

And fuck off with the "that doesn't teach the lesson". You don't have to suffer to learn. You wouldn't encourage your kids to reach up to a pot of boiling water on the stove just to "teach 'em a lesson".

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No one is cool with misinformation. Whatever happened to researching a purchase? WTF trusts government that isn't an idiot?

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Believe it or not, LOTS of people. It's why these companies make such an effort to "legitimize" - it's all about building trust. I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that this little slice of heaven we have here in the WERA dungeon isn't representative of the rest of the world. Most of the people in this country are fucking idiots, and unfortunately, we wind up suffering as a whole based on their bad decisions. It would behoove us to make it harder for them to make those bad decisions by making it more difficult for big business/government/healthcare/education/etc to fuck them over.

12. In Your Corner

Your arrogance is staggering.

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Because people are like cats and enjoy a bit of torture :rtfrb:

That or people try to help others all the time and some just don't listen....I call them Democrats :Poke:

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I am fully aware that this place is not representative of the US or even the world. It does not change the fact that those that do not research career opportunities IN DETAIL, which includes more than listening to the campus or government sales pitch, are idiots. PERIOD. FFS, you are talking about people that research the beer they had last night in greater detail than where they go to college and what they study. Priorities.

15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Assumed intellectual elitism, otherwise known as delusions of grandeur, are quite distasteful.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

As is your ignorance.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Bullshit. Intelligent people should have an obligation to use what they have to help other people, not take advantage of them. Our acceptance of greed and selfishness as a society is appalling.

18. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

You can literally find any answer to any question a human being has ever asked right from your phone. It doesn't get any harder for any business to "fuck someone over" than it already is.

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Which is why we are here trying to fulfill that obligation with you...

Fonda Dix likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Funny, that's why I'm here.........