1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Grass Connoisseurs

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 6, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Try and get a granular, pre-/post-emergent. It’ll take care of what’s in the ground and what’s already up. Basically, you get more bang for your buck. The counterperson should know exactly what to use.

If you need a spreader, Anderson’s LCO-1000 is the best spreader I’ve seen. I have a Lesco, but, its not everything it should be. They’re all expensive, but, ease of use, spread accuracy, weight capacity, etc, make all the difference. Rental stores sometimes have nice, commercial units for rent, as well.

Same as above. A pre-/post-emergent in a granule will take care of it. In fact, I don’t know of any emergent that doesn’t kill that stuff. Again, SiteOne are the chemical experts for your area. They sell only commercial products. Sometimes their stuff looks more expensive than consumer stuff, but, the application rates are lighter, so it goes much further. Strictly adhere to their application rates, so you don’t burn off your lawn. If anything go lighter on the application. Always apply to wet grass or before a rain.

XFBO likes this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

A. Barrister likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ That’s for methheads stepping foot where they shouldn’t.

4. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I used this stuff. Takes a couple of days for real results to show up. Started two years ago and now just had to spot treat twice this year. My entire front lawn was creeping charlie when we moved in.

https://www.bonide.com/products/weed-control/view/309/weed-beater-ultra-conc

5. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I'm in luck. Their corporate office (SiteOne) is a mile away, and one of their landscape supply centers is 3 miles away. Looks like I'll take a little trip tomorrow, and tell Charlie he can't surf anymore.

G2G and ducnut like this.
  6. A. Barrister

And I have a place a few miles away that sells this stuff. Good to know I have options.

Die, Charlie, Die!

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The SiteOne equivalent to that is Momentum. Mixed 2oz/gal will take care of about anything. I keep it mixed in a sprayer for spot-spraying, as Sprinky does. Not as cost effective or lasting as a granule, though.

8. A. Barrister

Spot spraying would suit me fine for right now. I just re-seeded this area 2 years ago after I killed everything with roundup. (Lawyers from late night commercials are calling me as I type this). And I'd like to not have to kill everything again, after seeing this stuff come back.

ducnut likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s why I suggested a granular. Put it down in mid-April and late-August and you shouldn’t have any weed issues at all. You can have a pretty nice yard off just those two applications. Using a liquid, you’ll be constantly chasing weeds.

10. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I should clarify that my front yard is all of 50’x40’ of grass area if that and I have chickens in my backyard so nothing there. Spraying for me is almost easier than granules. If I had a large yard, no way I’d try and spray all of it.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Totally thought that was just clover.. but my yard is like 40% this shit and I'm pretty sure my dog is allergic to it.

12. A. Barrister

@ducnut Do you know what the name of the granular would be, from SiteOne, that I would use to get rid of Charlie? I didn't make it out today, but likely will tomorrow, and want get everything I need. Thanks.

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

What has worked for me with my neighbors creeping charlie farm has been a product by Gordon's called Amine 400. I apply it with a Weed-B-Gon hose end sprayer at 1½ oz per gallon and broadcast the whole yard. You will need to follow up with a 2nd application between 6-12 days later to completely kill it off. Also, mix a bit (roughly a tablespoon) of Dawn (the original blue) dishsoap to break down the coating on the leaves and allow it to penetrate better.

To be honest, crabgrass is the only thing I have run across, weed wise, in my yard that won't kill off.

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Consult with them, because they’ll know your area, grasses, etc, and get you set up with something compatible for your specific needs.

I live in central IL. The product is Lebanon Pro Scape with Confront and Dimension, 19-0-6 MESA.

As I previously mentioned, be very careful with application rate and proximity of ornamentals. The stuff takes no prisoners.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So I stopped by my local SiteOne yesterday, he recommended a Lesco product called Quin-Way, it's technically granular but has to be mixed with water and then sprayed..... 1# off this stuff takes care of roughly one acre. Costs about $50.

Anyone try this stuff?

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve never used it, but, reading the label, it looks like it’ll kick some ass. The salt in it should provide residual. The PITA is it MAY clog your sprayer screen and nozzle.

IMO, that stuff is way too expensive for just one acre of coverage. The liquid is 3tbsp/gal. Was there a reason they gave you a mix? Any specific reason they suggested this product?

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

What are these weeds?

[​IMG]

Sent from my smatrfone

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Actually, i didn't buy it since i don't have a tank sprayer to accommodate the entire 1+ acres. I told him my new place has a crabgrass problem and he popped off without hesitation that stuff. Honestly, i was hoping to buy something lesser expensive, $50 for a single application does seem steep. However, that Scott's Halts ain't much cheaper for about the same coverage.

Might pick up a 13 gallon tow behind sprayer from Northern Tools, currently on sale for $125.

ducnut likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I still stick to my standby. If you compare labels, the Lebanon granular knocks out far more weeds, pre- and post-. Plus, it’s a really good fertilizer. Buy yourself a nice spreader and only need to apply twice a year. Dump it in, spread, rinse off the spreader, and done. Should take ~30min, total.

1 acre is a bit over 43K sq/ft. I applied at ~3-1/2lbs per 1000 (#10-#11 on a Lesco—absolutely no heavier). That works out to about 120lbs, or 3 bags. That’s ~$150 per application, twice per year.

https://www.lebanonturf.com/products/2153580

XFBO likes this.
  20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I think im gonna try a bag of that stuff on my front yard and the closest sections to the house out back..... when are you laying it down again this time of year?

Also, if you know, how long till you can seed after application?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019