1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Obama helpfulness?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by eggfooyoung, Sep 5, 2019.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What. The student loan program is screwed up?

[​IMG]

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Which has nothing to do with students taking out loans and not being smart enough to realize that just by obtaining a college degree doesn’t automatically equate into them obtaining a high paying job.

Borrowing $80,000-$100,000 plus, in order to obtain a degree that only commands a $35,000 salary is retarded.
    Simple math is hard.

But but but,.........I was promised. Not my fault. Pay for my shit. :D

4. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

If restaurants have to show calories per meal, all products in the store have to show ingredients.
    Colleges should have to show in writing the placement rate for the degree the student is taking along with the pay.
    Several have shown up at my wife's work, with her degree minus the 40 years of critical care experience bitching they are not making what she makes while she is capped out at the top of pay scale.
    Won't even mention the Dr's asking what happened the nurse, therapist during a open heart code to find out. It was break time so they left.

Check youtube for A millennials job interview.

Charlie1 likes this.
  5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The less you expect from people, the less you will get from them.

G 97 likes this.
  6. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Most public colleges and universities, which I'm familiar with, do just that. They're also held to very specific standards on how the data can be pulled, in order to prevent manipulation or outright fabrication. There was a significant challenge to it though, in that many of the for-profit institutions were not having the data verified by regional accreditors. This resulted in a number of major lawsuits, which essentially amounted to outright fraudulent marketing campaigns against potential students. The regulations were tightened up in response, and legislation attempted to stop this fraud through a Gainful Employment regulatory requirement. When it first was passed, 98% of all colleges and universities that failed the test were... for-profit colleges. It was also the one piece of regulation that Betsy DeVos announced upon her nomination, she was determined to remove, as it hindered the marketing of the for profit sector. Over this past summer, she was able to successfully remove it.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I can say that after looking at literature from multiple colleges with my son, I never once saw that information. Admittedly, we didn't really look that hard since he is getting an engineering degree.

8. Montoya

Many programs and schools are reluctant to actively advertise it, as it opens up a hornet's nest of issues for some programs. However they do have it, and as far as I know it's all publicly accessible. Congrat's on him going for an engineering degree! We're generally not one of the departments that tries to hide our metrics. What field?

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Civil. He wants to be able to point at what he built some day. Hopefully we will repair some of our crumbling infrastructure and pay him enough to support me in my old age.

Montoya likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is it really that hard to use Google to figure out a job market?

_indy likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Only for those who grew up with it.

12. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

LMAO,, I'm an old fart and can out search many a youngster.

Google hell, how about the job boards like ladders, monster, etc etc.
    If you can NOT find pages looking for a Political major with a minor in basket weaving, then another career might be in order.
    Having said that, told both my girls. Find a career in something you love.
    Money won't be a huge issue. You'll be happy.
    A job that pays and you hate isn't worth it. BUT don't get a degree in something you love while taking on a huge debit load. Pay as you go, since you already know the job won't pay crap.

13. Montoya

Not a bad plan. Only thing I'll add, is to keep in mind that many people (believe it's the majority) do not actually work in the field of their degree. Sometimes it's about checking off a box, to ensure that doors are not closed for you down the road.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

where I grew up cabbies, bar tenders, delivery guys , waiters, & substitute teachers were all hustling to pay for secondary education to not accumlate debt. Knowing what I do know I would not waste my own money and find an employer that has a tuition reimbursment plan or do the GI bill.

15. Montoya

I'm a huge advocate of that plan. There is a hindrance to the first part though, as the cost of education has greatly outpaced wage growth and inflation. I think it's fair to say that when we were growing up, it was far more achievable to work your way through school, while still maintaining satisfactory academic performance. It's still entirely possible for outliers, but increasingly difficult to outright implausible for a good portion of the student populace.

16. eggfooyoung

Too funny. My wife just used he HR degree to get her 2nd career, that has nothing to do with HR. But, like you said, that HR degree opened up a nice door for her 20 years ago, for a job that had nothing to do with HR.

17. eggfooyoung

So, what prompted me to start the thread originally, was the fact that doofus and crew set the payback schedule based on starting wages and not allowing folks who were able to use their degrees, and advance, to pay back higher amounts. Thus causing them to possibly run out to 20+ years, escalating the running interest. What a bunch of dicks.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would guess it depends on the school. I have a friend who is sending his son to Temple, as an out of State undergrad, to pursue a Criminal Justice degree. If the kid stays the course... he will be in the hole over $200,000 to maybe get a $45,000/yr cop job when he graduates. I asked my buddy if he had forgotten basic math??
    First...he could have done the first 2 yrs at some in local State schools...then transferred. Thats easily a 6 figure discount & ... not discounting for taking up residency in PA to get even more of a savings towards a shingle that says Temple on it?? Thats not even getting into any licensing board exams or training before he becomes "self supporting".

Yes that would be very difficult to raise that kind of loot even with a $50,000/yr job and no expenses. I dont know about most but Im not one to belly up to a table & run a tab...lol.

19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

If you go online there are plenty of resources that get you near the truth. Then you need to evaluate the quality of the college in that field. The base average is more important than the college ranking. The reality is that far too many just do as they please and figure that everything will work as the wish.

Case #1
    Princess: I want to save the world and work for a non-profit saving whales
    Parent: Whatever makes you happy sunshine which university
    Princess: I like this one as that city has such a wonderful arts community
    Parent: It is twice the cost of the other but we will figure it out someone for you princess

Case #2
    Solid kid: I want to be an engineer
    Parent: To do what?
    Solid kid: Not sure I am thinking either mechanical or electrical
    Parent: Well you could do the first year or two at the Community College and figure that out. Shoot you might even get an associates and be able to co-op with them helping on tuition.
    Solid kid: Wow thanks can you help me with the planning

One graduates with experience and little to no debt and job offers. The other graduates after 6 years with 200K in debt and finds a job for 35K

I leave it to the reader to match the results and people :beer:

R Acree and Dragginass like this.
  20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I really don't get what's hard about all this. Just as others have said, DO THE MATH! My son got his first 2 years and an associates of science from the local community college and has zero debt. What wasn't covered in scholarships, he paid out of pocket. He intended to do his next 2 years at the local university. It's expensive. Even after offering him basically a 2/3 scholarship, the total still came out to 12k a year. Nope. He's taking a semester off to work and put more towards NC State where he intends to ride share with his girlfriend. He could have easily taken out a loan to pay for the local university, but the math just didn't add up for him. He wants to be debt free or near debt free when it comes time to go to med school. I really don't get what's difficult about what he did. I agree that not every one has the same situation but just sitting back and weighing the options, he found a ton that were far more viable.

Montoya, TurboBlew, R Acree and 2 others like this.