1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rich white folks....at it again

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, May 19, 2017.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Lol..... It does look like a dog racing around

Did you read my link from sail magazine? The next volvo is going to have a foiling monohull class. Like the old Whitbread.

It actually says the boats are designed for round the world. I've never seen that though. Especially down south.

kangasj likes this.
  2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The test mule under sail. The speed this thing is going is pretty amazing.

Phl218 and kangasj like this.
  3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Pretty cool but I still don't see how it's going to handle plowing through big waves......we'll see....

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

At night how will they know when the thing is on foil and how high?

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It's a day boat only. It lives in a cradle on land and is only put in to train or race and then plucked out. It will probably never be in the water close to sunset.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

About as well as all the other AC boats. No racing if sea state or winds are out of the safety margin. The AC75s will be a lot longer and ride a lot higher. I'm guessing they could handle 4' no problem on foils.

I'm curious what happens when your speed through the water is zero and a gust hits you. Little to zero righting moment with no keel.

-- scratch the righting moment. Foils are ballasted.

7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Once again, they said they were developing foiling boats to compete in the Volvo race. 4' ain't shit compared to what they see in that race and you don' stop for the night in that race. The fricken mono's that they are racing now hit speeds of almost 40 knots.

This shit....ooops, I deleted the vid. I keep forgetting the rules. Google "Best of volvo ocean race youtube" and watch the vid. It's a little over 3 minutes long..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I didn't realize they were looking at foilers for the Volvo. I saw you mentioned the offshore one designs. I took that as an analogy that the ACs were a one design in the same vein as the Volvo racers. Maybe with a canting keel and the ability to set those to neutral life or even remove the foils is what they're looking into. The southern ocean with foils in the water would be stupid.

kangasj and joec like this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Redbull Tv had tons of footage of the Volvo ocean race from 2017-2018.

While I am very interested in getting on one of those foil cats I have zero inclination to get anywhere near them little ass ocean vessels out in no damn where AT NIGHT or day. One of the boats had a man overboard twice. Once in the day who they rescued. One at night who they didn't. Fk that.

10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Your not paying attention... it’s Union , so it’s time and a Half . Double time on weekends .

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Yes are 2 boat topics going here. Just got everyone to be clear. Op was about America's cup (boats) which is closed course match racing. Think sprints the other topic being discussed is the Volvo crewed round the world race.

The Americas cup boats went from catamarans back to monohull boats. They will be 75 foot foiling mono hulls, basically prototypes, think motogp.

In years past the Volvo races had different classes, with different sized boats.. (after a 65 beat the bigger faster boats a few years ago and everyone got butthurt over the ass whoopin, they went to one design identical boats. Think superstock with spec everything)

But now they have added a foiling monohull class that will race at the same time. Announced this week. So the discussion about foiling the southern ocean is about the Volvo. Not the Americas cup.

I just want to say.

Go Prada!!!!

I watched the live daily updates on the Volvo last year ever day. Never done that before. Some great interviews and some incredibly beautiful drone shots. Every boat carries an onboard reporter who's only job is to document unless there is an emergency.

There's a YouTube channel. It's 9 months long.. With stop overs at various points.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    kangasj likes this.
  12. Well damn.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

K51000 and Steeltoe like this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

How do I get a spot on one of these things? No, nevermind!

Ugh. I want to be on one these so bad though. So badass.

15. That’s a bunch of smart people doing smart people shit and rich people building rich people shit.

YamahaRick and joec like this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

How bout now?
    [​IMG]

17. joec

joec brace yourself

I'd fall off at the dock.

18. Ya me too. They’d be pissed a me for adding all the weight of grip tape to the deck.

19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I'm an avid beach cat sailor/racer for many years. My last boat was an F18 class. (no, not the jet).
    These new lighter, foiling monohulls are the state of the art. Seemingly MORE stable than the foiling cats.

Where will it go next?

20. joec

joec brace yourself