1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Grass Connoisseurs

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

can someone ID this type of grass? (ignore the weeds :oops: )

My yard has it, and it's slow growing, which I love. I bought some seeds and it's High Fescue I think and it grows way too fast and doesn't look as nice as this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That there is one of them yankee grasses. No idea.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I'll hit my buddy up. He knows more about grass than anyone...
    [​IMG]

Edit...he says it's either fescue or a cross between jamaican and thai stick. Have to burn some to sure

cha0s#242, TurboBlew, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Figured I could help you out, but Scott's EZ Seed is the only thing I know about this grass.

BigBird likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Zoysia?

BigBird likes this.
  6. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Maybe zoysia?

BigBird likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

The seed repair stuff is mostly high fescue and it's not as thick as what's there...guess I'll have to mow more often...was liking my every 2 week schedule

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

interesting...zoysia looks closer to it than the fescue. I thought zoysia was only a warm weather grass, but looks like it can possibly work up here.

9. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I'm here in central NJ and I have it in my front yard. It does turn brown in the winter but it does quite well here.

BigBird likes this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from a picture. From what I can see and your description of slow growing, it’s Zoysia. Does it turn brown, come winter? If so, it’s definitely Zoysia. It’s an invasive grass, so it creeps and slowly takes over everything.

Tall fescue is the nicest grass, for a showplace, north of the M-D line. But, it does require maintenance and specific care, for optimal results.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

It doesn't really turn that brown to tell you the truth. I use Scotts Winterguard and that seems to almost lock in the color for the winter. My neighbors one looks like the desert in the winter time as a comparison.

ducnut likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Then, it’s Zoysia. If a neighbor has it, that confirms it. It turns brown, because it goes dormant during cold temps.

If you’re doing the Scott’s program, you shouldn’t have weeds.

BigBird likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Zoysia is great stuff. I've been slowly converting my yard to it over the past 7 years. Started out with two or three 1sq/ft chuncks of sod, cut into 1in squares and plugged all over the place. The only problem is that it stays dormant until April/May so the damn fescue, clover, and weeds get a jump on it, but by this time of year, it's beat most of that stuff back, spread some more, and looks amazing. It's so thick it's like walking on carpet.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20190906-163207_Chrome.jpg
    This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Chris, ToofPic and Scotty87 like this.
  15. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Slow growing. Brown in winter? Very thick? Maybe Bermuda?

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

False alarm...

[​IMG]

G Dawg likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

I don't think my neighbor has zoysia though. they have more of a fescue look. A Dr. owned my house before me and the other neighbor who has been here for 35+ years said the Dr put that down because he didn't want to do much maintenance on the lawn.

ducnut likes this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s a warm climate grass. Pretty certain it can’t survive in BB’s environment.

XFBO likes this.
  19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Take a good close pic of what you want ID'd, then send it to a person at your local County Extension office. You can get great tips on its care as well.

OP, you in NJ?

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/county/

BigBird likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Where do you live Bird (when you’re not on Sesame Street)?

[​IMG]