1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building race bike...insight

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Sep 5, 2019.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Is/was your track bike not race-worthy?

2. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

It is, but I’m looking to move into a 600. Currently riding an RSV4 and ready for something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

I’ll shoot you a message!

4. fastfreddie

You are gonna do something different...you're gonna go racing.

Unless you know, for sure, that you are gonna dedicate your resources to full-on racing (campaign a season), I suggest getting your feet wet with what you have. Going all-out on a new racebike just to get a taste of wet feet seems a bit much, financially.

Pitmom42, Yzasserina and AC792 like this.
  5. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the concern, but regardless if I like racing, I don’t plan on stopping track days. I work hard and this is my hobby, so I might as well enjoy it while I can.

I raced motocross for 6+ years. I may be new to this racing, but certainly not new to the racing scene.

I do appreciate the insight though.

6. fastfreddie

Just offering long-term/end game considerations. I can relate to your experience, tho'...only you can know you want a new ride.

As to the particular org, there are a number of things to think about besides the bike/class(es), like:
    - CCS allows changing front brake components for SS classes, WERA does not.
    - CCS grid position is determined by first-come-first-serve registration, WERA is by point standing.
    - CCS requires only a bare minimum of safety wiring, WERA requires an extensive amount by comparison.
    These are just a few differences off the top of my head, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

As much as I would like to tell you that, overall, CCS sucks compared to WERA, I can't justify making such a comment...and it would be unprofessional to do so. My experiences will not be your experiences. ;)
    FWIW, safety and fair play are my biggest competitive concerns...

Good luck and...:rtfrb: :D

7. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

100% understand and I do appreciate it. Again, who knows what I’ll end up doing. Just wanted to get some general feedback on the process of building a bike from stock.

Very good feedback here and it’s given me a lot to think about. Either way, I’m looking forward to the process finding the right bike.

8. It’s your money and if you want a dedicated track day bike I say go for it. Might as well have as much fun as you can and it’s also a lot less of a pain if you have to switch back and forth.

Gorilla George and AC792 like this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Get clapped out SV and open HF trailer.
    If your slow blame the bike, trailer, etc. If you beat everyone it pisses them off to be beat by clapped out SV and open HF trailer....

:D

elevenn7 and AC792 like this.
  10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I prefer to build my own but I’m just a trackday guy, so I don’t mind doing it in stages over time. I don’t touch the motor either to maintain reliability. Having said that, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an Eddie Kraft build or similar (i.e. first class build with little use).

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If you decide to go that route and ever make it to the Philly area, you can have my HF trailer for free.

Just get it the fuck outta my garage and we'll be even :D

12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Well at least with CCS we don't have to bribe the owner's husband with pie to keep from him killing off road racing.:p

13. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

This ^^^^ Clapped out SV for 3K, hang on to the 10K for later

14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Let's assume for discussion sake, you find a really minty street bike that's perfect to build. Hell. I'll use my story. Bought my '08 R6 in 2013. Had 900 miles on it, as stock as it came from the show room floor. Got it for $5k (Yeah, it was a deal, I know...but the batter was dead and needed changed ;) )

To get it race ready-ish, all while not touching the motor-

Sold the stock plastics for $700. Kinda on the low end, but like my other reply...everyone says it's easy to sell that shit, until it's your turn to sell it. Then it's a mother fucker. Just trust me.

Bought a used TTX / 30mil cart combo (complete forks). $2200-ish (Trouble remembering, this was like 6 years ago already). Sold the stock forks for a few hundred, so say $2k for suspension.

$300 to get that suspension serviced/sprung for me. You're not going to put unknown suspension bits on your shit, are you....?
    Fuel management/ECU flash/QS, dyno tune. Might as well get new plugs and air filter too. Another $1k.

Bodywork/paint. $1500 by the time you get all the Dzuz fasteners and shit. Number plates. Windscreen. Shit like that.

Brake lines, race pads, the little doo-dad shit. $500.
    Rear sets, plus a few spares. $500.
    Exhaust. $1k.

Extra $7k into this thing and you don't have any mother fuckin' spare wheels either. That means buying at the least, one more set, complete, because having to swap shit over from one set to the other...just no. Plus the captive spacers, angled valve stems, shit like that.

There's a ton of $50 shit you throw at a bike that nobody ever figures into the cost of the build, but that shit adds up. Quick.

5axis, Kyle Brosius, AC1108 and 6 others like this.
  15. :stupid:

Then it’s like “these Levers aren’t as comfortable, and aren’t breakaway...ima get some aftermarket ones”, then it’s “I need a Stompgrip”, then it’s some Ti bolts pre-drilled for safety wire would save a lot of time and look better (plus be lighter)”, then it’s “I need a 520 conversion with different sprockets for different tracks”, then “a Li battery would be stronger and save a lot of weight”....

Before you know it, you’ve dropped another $2k.

...and you still don’t have a single spare.

As far as spares, personally, I’ve never bought into the idea of keeping the stock stuff for spares. If I wanted to race on the stock stuff, or felt like I could perform just as well with the stock stuff, then I would never change it in the first place.

The race after you wreck is just as important as the race you wrecked in. I want the bike rebuilt with the same quality stuff. So now, instead of 1 set of Levers, Rearsets, etc...it’s 2. Then a spare gas tank, windscreen, bodywork, wheels, etc.

I don’t know how many times people will say “I’m not spending $20k+ on a race bike”. The thing is, many of them already have. Take a modern bike =/> 600cc, and build it from scratch...you’ve already got $20k in it.

Next thing you think “some Marchesinis would be awesome, I better get a spare set too”, then it’s “a motor build would be great....shit I need to run MR12 too”, then it’s “more Ti bolts would kick ass”, then “shit I need some affamarket rotors, Brembo MC, and STM Slipper Clutch”...

Before you know it, you’ve got $40k+ tied up in that R6.

...then you’ll wake up one day and think “I bet racing a Panigale would be fun. If I get an S model, it won’t need as much prep. I’ll just get an exhaust, and, and, and.........”

16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Jeezuz........race fzr’s for 1/16th the cost but with 20X the frustration............:D But in all seriousness I’d love to start all over again with a nice already prepped r6.

17. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear you guys. At this point, I’ll wait and see what pops up here in the next couple months.

18. For the record, I’m not trying to discourage you. The R6 you found is a great deal, and would be a great platform to start with.

The only point we are making is that if you buy a bike already built, you pay more of a fixed amount (assuming you don’t want to change anything to meet your preferences), and it will be cheaper.

When building a bike from scratch, it is hard to say “I’ll only spend $__”, because more shit pops up all the time that you didn’t originally consider.

I’ve built enough bike from scratch that before I even send off the check for the bike, I already know how much I’ll have in it by the time it is delivered.

But since this is your first time, and you haven’t planned on any spares, you might want to reconsider your budget. Or if your budget is fixed, then you might want to get one already built.

19. If you wanted to race a different liter bike, I’m going to put my 1299S up for sale whenever I get a round tuit.

I think it has around 1,000-1,500 miles on it, I need to ask Livengood to be sure. It comes with a lot of spares, including 3 extra Forged Marchesini wheels (1 spare front, 2 spare rears, all dressed with rotors)...and I’ll be selling it for less than you plan on spending on that R6.

20. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Completely understand and that’s the feedback I’m looking for. I’ll keep my eyes open for an already built one here on the forum. I’ve just seen too many already built bikes that have been to hell and back, so I am ultra picky and want to be sure i’m getting something great.