1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s a decent Helmet that’s not crazy expensive for a first track day?

Discussion in 'General' started by lacofdfireman, Sep 5, 2019.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Member

Been riding for over 30 years but all my helmets now are Dual Sport style helmets or modular. I’m going to be doing my first of I hope many track days and will need to buy a full face helmet that I can use for track days. I realize that thoughts out there are you get what your pay for but I also know you can get a decent helmet without breaking the bank. So what’s a good entry level helmet for a beginner at the track?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  2. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Bell Qualifier.
    HJC CL17.

They’re entry level and DOT approved. depending on the ORG, you may need the SNELL rating as well however I have yet to encounter that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

The one that fits your head the best

418 and BigBird like this.
  4. What fits properly and a good quality name brand helmet. Im an Aria guy because they make a long oval helmet that fits me perfect with bigger cheek pads. It will be said but If you can’t afford a good helmet you should delay your track day until you can. Find a closeout (that’s not too old of you plan to race in the near future) or just buy one without graphics to save some $.

5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Remember to look inside the helmet. They have a manufacturing date. The foam is designed to last around 5 years. Make sure you don’t get one that’s been in a box for three years.

6. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

Check with TJ at Riders Discount or Jimmy with Sportbike Track Gear. Either will give you solid advice and offer you a deal on a quality lid that won’t break the bank.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Which do you like better?

Maria Callas - Casta Diva
    or
    Plácido Domingo - E lucevan le stelle from Tosca
    :D

8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Another vote for HJC

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

First.....let's try to establish what your threshold for "crazy expensive" is. That's too general of a guideline to go by.

lacofdfireman likes this.
  10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Arai.

They have different price points, all with the same core build.

KMC likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you’re happy with the fit of your current helmets, start with those brands.

Like CB, I’m an Arai long-oval head shape, so I have one model of helmet I can wear. My helmets are fitted and bought from Robert at The Service Pavilion. No better Arai vendor on the planet.

SuddenBraking, BigBird and ekraft84 like this.
  12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

whichever helmet fits the size and shape of your head.

the HJC FG-17, HJC RPHA11, and Arai Vector 2 are the only helmets ive found that that fit my head. stick to solid colors to save $$.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Shoei in solid colors can always be found for a deal and are the best fit for my head.

zippytech likes this.
  14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have 2 AGV helmets and one LS2 helmet. I like both. I use the LS2 for my track riding and the AGV is my street helmet. AGV was like $260, dont remember the price of the LS2. You can also get Shoei, HJC and Bell at prices around the AGV.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

AGV

Fits like Shoei. Better ventilation and better made liner than both my Arai and Shoei.
    Faceshields are not the same clarity as Shoei and Arai imo but still good.
    Paint and overall quality and durability same or better.

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Meh. AGVs are never worth what they're charging.

Unless you're chasing Valentino Rossi coattails, they're neither the lightest nor the best thought out. The Arais and Shoeis are much better built at the same price point, and have better shield mechanisms that pull the shield towards the helmet to create a solid seal, rather than relying on a latch.

Even their $1500 Pista R has their same cheapass latch with no detents, which nearly the whole industry has moved past already.

jasonhise likes this.
  17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

That’s because the Pista is designed as a race helmet so the visor is either open sitting on the grid or closed on the track. Same reason it just comes with plugs for the vents.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Bell.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

I like my Bell Star Carbon and I have a long oval head. Never tested it yet though, and hope I never do.

Sent from my smatrfone

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

Lol and I wasn't even talking Pista since the OP specifically said entry level. The entry level AGV comes with a choice of three different interchangeable detents in the box. I honestly dunno wtf that dude is jabbering about lol.

AGV interchangeable detents.
    [​IMG]

BigBird likes this.