Building race bike...insight

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Sep 5, 2019.

1. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I’m looking to build a 17+ R6 race bike over the winter. I’ve found a really great deal on a 2018 and am having a hard time looking past it. This has me eager to start the build. However, I have a few questions.

For those of you who have gone this route and built an R6 race bike using a completely stock bike:

1) Was it a difficult process selling off the OEM parts to make some of the money back?

2) Are the OEM parts even that wanted on the 17+ bike? I see tons of threads with people parting them out but not a lot of interest.

3) If you could do it all over again, what would you change?

4) Any other insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Unless you just really want to build one, wait a month or two and buy a properly built bike from one of the teams. You get soooooo much more for your $$$

3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

:stupid: I wouldn't even think of building one. I'd buy an already built, used one, every time.

vfrket, ducnut and AC792 like this.
  4. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I’ve gone both routes and while you do save money and TIME on a built bike. It takes luck to find a good one and those good ones demand a pretty penny.

If you want decrease your chance on your bike not working after driving hours to a track; buy new.

MachineR1, JBall and AC792 like this.
  5. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Idk about you, but I would generally try to rectify any problems before going to the track... :Poke:

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've owned at least 20-30 racebikes over the years for me and my son, all but one were bought as already setup racebikes.

The.Johnner, MELK-MAN and AC792 like this.
  7. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Ok let me rephrase...

If you end up buying some superbike where everything was touched or modified make sure is from a reputable builder.

I don’t know the op but based on the question I’m pretty sure he is not a mechanic.

I’m just giving my point of view. I would rather have a bike could have the the least amount of problems.

Also buy the parts that everybody has at the track. It’s cool to have let’s say lightech rearsets but if you break something it will be pretty hard to find a spare.

Laz likes this.
  8. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the insight guys, much appreciated. I go back and forth. I like the idea of finding a team race bike at the end of the season, but isn’t there more risk that the engine was ran a lot harder? I’m sure it was maintained a lot better as well though.

This is where my heads at and with a long Wisconsin winter approaching, I am already getting anxious!

Thanks again.

9. Plus a lot of race bikes being sold off have parts the were from sponsors or contingency so it does lower the overall cost of the build for the initial team/ rider. Some people want stupid $ for used race bikes, I forget dudes name but wanted like $20 or 25k for a bmw that wasn’t anything special. There are a fair amount of bikes that will come up for sale and you’ll have a bike already shaken down and set up, although may not be a setup you like. Good thing is you can usually just swap out springs if you have to and work with your suspension tuner of choice to dial in the last little bit. Plus a decent amount of bikes will come with spares if they are switching brands or bikes. Start reaching out to people now before the seasons over to get a feel of who is selling what. A lot of bikes will be for sale after the last MA round, gnf etc. Depending on motor build/ mileage may need a refresh but you will still come out ahead. Use the time in the winter to strip it down to the frame, do all the maintenance stuff while also learning your bike.

rcarson15, Boman Forklift and AC792 like this.
  10. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks Canadian. When you say start reaching out...who would you recommend? I’m not really familiar with what teams or where to even start.

11. Yes they are run harder but also changed and rebuilt more often. Find out who built the motor and cost of a refresh or take it to a reputable builder of your choice to have it done. Good chance it’s going to be ok for track days but it all depends

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If you know what you're doing, build it. If you don't, buy one from someone who does.

You won't make a ton of money selling the OEM parts, even new. With all our bike builds from scratch, I usually sold them on Craigslist as a package deal, relatively cheap.

jhalls, cav115 and AC792 like this.
  13. All depends on the bike you want. If you want an R6 just look up MA teams running them and go to their website / FB page and they usually have contact info. Doesn’t hurt to ask now. If you want a GSXR you’ll be hard pressed to find a better value than a Team Hammer (Roadracing World/ M4) bike.

AC1108, ducnut and AC792 like this.
  14. Says the guy who lists his sponsors :)

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Part of the reason we always built from scratch. ;)

Wheel Bearing and AC792 like this.
  16. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks Eddie.

I would be able to do just about everything but would take it to my local guy for suspension and engine tuning.

ekraft84 likes this.
  17. You just made my point, that’s why you buy a used bike from someone like you.

ekraft84 and AC792 like this.
  18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Because I took that last R6 on the chin and sold it way cheaper than I should have ... lol.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That's what I kept thinking. A MA race winning GSXR built by Team Hammer, damn, tough to beat.

Unless you have to have a R6.

CR750 and AC792 like this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What I've seen and heard of Eddie Spaghetti's bikes, another great choice if you're buying already built. :)

AC792 likes this.