1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley regret?

Discussion in 'General' started by wera313, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Oh no here we go

Knotcher likes this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I can't believe I'm going to type Goldwing but here we go. A Traxxion equipped Goldwing is the hot setup and transforms the thing

Please someone help me, Goldwings on a roadracing forum

ducnut, beac83 and rd400racer like this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My brother in law is selling his fleet of Harleys and buying a 3 wheeler. I mentioned to my wife that I should see if he'll sell me the 03 Road King for a decent price just to try a Harley for a while. Now she has nothing to do with my motorcycles whatsoever and her first comment was you'll hate it within a month.

So yesterday I did a six hour ride around Kentucky.. me on the 1200GS, brother on an FZ1 and his friend on a ZX1400. I did a lot of thinking during the ride and questioned myself if I would enjoy this on a Harley and the answer was a resounding no way. Maybe she's smarter than I think:D

Bottom line, I see a lot of comments about how supremely comfortable this or that is. I guess I'm a caveman, but I don't want supreme comfort when I ride regardless of the distance. The rawness of riding a motorcycle is why I ride in the first place. If I need that much comfort I'll take the car.

But if he gives me his 03 I'll take it:p

cav115, Pixelator and baconologist like this.
  4. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

You are smart enough to realize what you want in a bike.Different strokes and all that.

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Become a member of the "Me Too" movement..

What kinda bike you ride "Road King/Glide/Street"???
    "HEY, No Shit---Me TOO-!!

:crackup:

TLR67, baconologist and Steeltoe like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Oh I get the mystique of the Harley and that's the exact reason I'd like to try one for a while. But considering I'm on bike number 85, I don't have a clue what I really want to this day!:D

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The mystique of a 70 horsepower 900lb bike that says potato, potato, potato as it rolls down the road? But what the hell chicks dig them right?

8. Jeff McKinney

I feel ya,even my keeper bikes only last a year or two.The last 3 Harleys have had a 1-5 yr stay each,lol.

9. Jeff McKinney

Same mystique as riding a superbike on 200 mi highway trip ,or for a 5 mi daily commute with 20 stoplights where you never reach 40mph.

Scotty87 and rd400racer like this.
  10. Jeff McKinney

Sportbikes vs touring bikes.Almost as bad as the BMW vs. Goldwing vs. Harley crowd.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Max openly offers anyone to come in and ride his personal ‘Wing. I’d definitely take him up on it, before purchasing one. Then, I’d know what it could be transformed into with their products.

I was 34yrs-old, when the ‘02 GL18 came out. I loved the bike, then. I can only imagine what the new one must be like. My only concern is Honda forcing entire packages on current buyers; one can no longer select their options. The original GL18 allowed for a buyer to get only what they wanted on the bike and everything was plug-and-play.

I’d like to demo the Moto Guzzi MGX-21, as well. My only issue is it looks too Harley.

I’ve never met an unhappy RT owner.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yep, might as well just go all in and Trike it. Blatting around on barge to me just isn't riding at all and may as well just take the friggin car... Plus I actually despise the way they look and, especially sound......

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

IMO, ended with the Shovelhead..or maybe 3rd year of the Evo..

zrx12man and rd400racer like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same reasoning as racing a 2-stroke.... Glass houses and all that ;)

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

BS

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Funny to see the S1000XR mentioned a couple times. That’s my regular street bike and occasionally find it’s way out for a track day. That’ll be staying in the garage.

Took the rental Road King on a regular loop over Mt Evans west of Denver this morning. It was a super chilled experience compared to the XR. Ground clearance wasn’t as bad as I imagined. Only scraped a couple times by accident. It’s a mental reset on riding style. Liked not having a big dash in front of me.

Wasn’t loving the linked brakes. Sort of a weird pulsing feeling at low speed. Otherwise was comfortable and felt better getting off the bike after a few hours straight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    image share
    [​IMG]

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Chicks dig them because the are a 70hp 900lbs gas operate dildo or a 70hp 900lbs unbalanced washing machine.

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

My uncle used to tear up the backroads on his Goldwing. I have an older 1100rt and love it. It’s so nimble and yet plush at the same time.

19. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

9C33DB14-B11A-4E0D-8FF5-26A1A2F4BA0F.jpeg
    “Sweet Jumpin” a Goldwing!!

Not sure I would want to try the same on a Road King!! :D

ducnut likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They do wheelie -

[​IMG]

And before you all start whining he was a roadracer too... :D