1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is american superbike really this sad?

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Aug 25, 2019.

1. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Superbikeorbust likes this.
  2. Superbike grids down but seems other grids look pretty damn good.

Dave250, jksoft and Newyork like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Maybe they should go back to the combined races with the Stk1000 bikes? There were several races where those guys were competitive with SBK bikes.

Superbikeorbust and Blackbeener like this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It is sad. Very sad. But it can still come back. Remember when MotoGP grids were so pitiful they added the CRT teams out of desperation?

BSB at one time added a class within the Superbike class with less complicated (cheaper) superbikes to attract more teams to the grid. It worked extremely well and those rules eventually morphed into what is now the Superbike class.

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

It's not just this weekend. It's been like this all year. Motoamerica has priced out many teams.

rk97 likes this.
  6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Cite?

7. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

So the peak of Superbike racing was nearly twenty years ago... can you guys like maybe move on and focus on like building up / supporting the current stuff? I can think of a few years ago when it was a 4 dog fight, and everyone else was pretty much a Superstock bike. Things are the better now than they have been in maybe a decade.

Ya’ll starting to sound like all those grey hairs on FB who comment on American Flat Track posts who are stuck in like 1976...

stk0308, MELK-MAN, Odilup and 2 others like this.
  8. hdpromos

hdpromos Well-Known Member

You are delusional or just plain stupid:stupid:

Steeltoe likes this.
  9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's going to die. The financial requirements for running a top level Superbike team are simply just too expensive for most. Look at the classes racers are showing up for in numbers. The classes where you don't have to be Michael Jordan rich to be on the playing field.

The electronics and personnel to go with them are cost prohibitive. As much as I like wizz bang bad ass equipment it needs to go away so the racing series can stay alive unless the manufacturers want to come back in and support it. Unless their sales start to increase I don't see that happening.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I hate when Kenny’s right.

I hate a lot.

G Dawg, Phl218 and pscook like this.
  11. That was the EVO class and that was more to get a head start on spec electronics, not to fill the grids.

12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I’ve thought about that before. But if you think back to when they did that previously, I think there were like 5 superbikes on the grid and 4 of them were the factory bikes. I think the problem was for anyone not factory supported, they would finish in roughly the same spot overall regardless of whether they were on a superbike or superstock machine. So why run superbike at that point? You could run superstock for much cheaper, get the “superbike limelight” by being on track at the same time, and now have much better “results” since your class results factored out the superbikes. There’s just no incentive to run superbike at that point.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Partly.

https://www.crash.net/bsb/news/152566/1/bsb-announces-new-evolution-class-for-2010

"The objective is that the BSB Evo class will compliment the current full FIM WSB specification bikes and provide our audiences with a full grid of the best teams and riders on as many different eligible makes of motorcycle as possible.

"By radically grasping the issue of electronics we will eliminate a significant cost and regain some of the spectacle that fans and riders are clearly missing."

Dave250 and Gorilla George like this.
  14. I know what they stated but also know the reality.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Cite please. I think you just like to argue.

16. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Yeah, okay. Judging by the hard on people have for Mladin and Spies on here still, even though these guys are at this point long retired, it's really no different than people who haven't moved past Roberts and Springsteen. They were all great, but time moves on, and if you aren't going to be part of the solution (ie: support what you have now), then don't bitch when it actually dies.

stk0308, Dragginass and 418 like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What do you know about BSB? :crackup:;)

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

AMA/MotoAmerica needs to be in direct talks with the mfgs to get more factory sponsored teams, IMHO, maybe put some profit sharing on the table.

There shouldn't be a reason all the mfgs shouldn't have some representation, this is the lifeblood of how they sell sportsbikes.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I imagine they have talked directly to the mfgs. As for profit sharing, what if there is currently no profits to share?

rcarson15 and SethG like this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

1995 called. They want their motorcycle sales back.

Dave250, kirk erlinger, CR750 and 5 others like this.