1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 ZX6R race bike high rpm bogging/loss of power

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Trainwreck, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I am having an issue with my 2009 ZX6R track bike...

Bought the bike in March 2019 from KY with 2300 miles on it.
    Had about a half tank of old fuel in it from summer/fall 2018. Ran awesome on the initial test ride

Brought bike home to MI changed all the fluids new plugs, fresh fuel etc. Also had some dodgy wiring with the PC5 and grounds so i go through ENTIRE bike and clean all that up.

Ran first track day, and in about the second session it started cutting out at 10-11k rpms
    Kept trying to go out and have fun in the corners but i ended up lowsiding and ending my day.

Bring bike home.
    changed fuel filter
    new plugs again (just to be sure)
    inspected fuel pressure at prime, running, and revving. (all good)
    Cleaned fuel tank.
    checked ohms on injectors (all good)
    checked voltage at injector leads (all good)
    checked voltage at coils (all good)
    Checked ohms at Coil packs (all good)
    checked throttle body (all good)
    Put the bike back together, runs awesome.

Do another track weekend, bike runs all the way through the revs with no issues at all.
    The very next weekend I ran a CCS race at Balckhawk Farms. No issues whatsoever.

This weekend 8/10-8/11 I ran another track weekend at Gingerman raceway.
    1st session, bike runs great goes all the way to redline with no issues at all.
    2nd session, bike is bogging around 14.8-15k (low fuel light comes on about 1 lap in)
    3rd session, full tank of fuel, still cutting out. Now starting at 14k rpm (will still make it to 15.5K but it struggles to get there)
    4th session, bike is now cutting out starting at 13k

Lunch: I drain the fuel and put in a brand new fuel pump and filter.

5th session, bike runs amazing for 3-4 laps all the way to red line, then starts bogging again at 14.5 then gets worse all the way to 13k again...
    6th session removed PV5 and all wiring bike now starts bogging/ losing power at 12krpms. at this point I can no longer run Advanced pace and I kill the bike for the day.

A close friend loans me his 07 zx6r for the rest of the weekend and still had a killer time.

I am now lost.. I have a race coming up this weekend. 8/17-8/18 at BlackHawk Farms and I have no idea what to do to get this bike ready.

any help!?
    -Billy

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Only under load or will it do it on stand? If will do it on stand u may can have tank up and shake on some wiring. I probes I can check coils with while running, also get fuel pressure reading while at rpm. You may find something. Intermittent problems suck.

3. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

I meant I have probes to check coils and injectors while running.

4. Trainwreck

It does it under load as well as on the stand.

5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Does it ever do it when it's cold or only when warm?
    Does it only do it after running for a while or has it done it right away at times?

First thing I'd check is tank venting, I've seen blocked vents cause similar issues more than once.

6. ninjabros

ninjabros Well-Known Member

Unplug the power commander and see how it does. I've see them do weird things when they go bad.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Upper injectors dirty or not mapped correctly.

Mran556 likes this.
  8. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

try removing the secondary butter flies. just went through this with a guy. 7/8 throttle, pulls to redline. 100% throttle nope. pulled them out, bike is mint.

9. Trainwreck

Quick update..

Got home from the track and pulled the bike apart.
    plugs looked great, coils tested fine.

Injectors were disgusting.. fuel rails were full of a scale type material, and the fuel tank was actually pretty gross.
    took the injectors to a buddies shop, we sonic cleaned them, re tested them and put new filters in them.

The metal portion of the fuel rail was given a Muriatic Acid bath and now looks brand new.
    I filled the fuel tank up about half way with Muriatic Acid and sloshed it all around for about 5-10 minutes. The acid came out BRIGHT RED.. lol I then flushed all it out again with acetone until it was clear with no debris, and let it dry over night.

Hopefully this was the issue.. only worry now is my fuel pump... due to my lack of sleep the last few days I totally forgot to remove the pump when i put the acid in..

(I meant to remove the pump/filter from the sending unit and place the plate back in sans the plastic.) I realized I forgot as i was draining the acid.. so i the removed the pump and flushed everything with white vinegar, then gas... hopefully its ok. :/

putting everything back together tonight.

Crappy part is I don't have anywhere to test the bike.. So we will find out after my 4 hour drive to Blackhawk Farms if it is fixed or not.. If its still messed up i'm going to a dealership and buying a new bike.. because i'm irrational, and I have some money burning a hole in my pocket lol :P

Thanks for all the help guys!

10. Trainwreck

Was this on a zx6r?

I don't think i can race with the secondaries removed unless I run Superbike..

11. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

yes, something to do with opening too fast. not sure of your rules. but if it fixes it, you know the issue then at least.

12. Dimitry Louis

Dimitry Louis Sabotage

I'd get a new fuel pump or see if the current one can be rebuilt/serviced... i had a problem similar to yours and it was the crap that build up in the fuel pump

13. Trainwreck

Just swapped in a new pump and filter on Saturday.

14. brl0301

brl0301 Well-Known Member

when you say a new pump and filter do you mean the entire pump assembly or just a replacement pump inside the original assembly? I was having the exact same issue on my 12 zx6. After rebuilding the pump 3 times, I discovered there is a second filter(not the sock filter) thats part of the pump housing that is not replaceable. If you are just rebuilding pumps instead of replacing the entire assembly I would bet this is your issue, especially considering the stuff you found inside the tank

15. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Make sure the fuel pipe coming from the pump isn't bent. I've seen it happen a few times when people remove the fuel tank and set it down, it can bend that pipe just enough to reduce the fuel pressure at high RPM. Also check the fuel hose and make sure it's not kinked. Check the fuel hose going to the upper injectors too.

16. Trainwreck

Considering this... i am trying t source another sending unit before the weekend, but i haven't had any luck yet.

17. Trainwreck

wanna update this..

Turns out there was something going on with the fuel tank.. I cleaned it multiple times and made sure clean fuel was coming out.. however the bike would still act up.

Swapped tanks and the bike runs amazing. Someone said it may have been an issue with the venting.

Just want closure for this thread in case anyone has a similar issue.

-Billy

badmoon692008 and duc995 like this.
  18. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

:D