1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parking pad for RV/trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 12, 2019.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I want to utilize some adjacent driveway space to park my toy hauler and free up some parking for vehicles.

Planned space is 10'x30' and is currently grassed over.

Any tips on clearing this area and what budget materials to use?

Thinking of clearing the existing grass, compacting the soil, laying down some heavy duty weed barrier mat, and then using some recycled/crushed asphalt. The area will be bordered with some landscape timbers the keep the asphalt from migrating into the surrounding area. Will probably put down some paver stones for the tires themselves to park on, but the rest is crushed asphalt.

Trying to keep this relatively on the cheap.

Thoughts/tips?

2. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Is it just for parking or you going to want to hook it up sometimes? My old house we had a 30 amp plug put on the side of the house and otherwise did exactly what you are talking about. Garden hose was 4 feet away. Only thing needed was a sewer port cause it was on the opposite side of the house

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've used alot of millings and in my opinion they sucks for residential. If you have access to some pee gravel ot other rock you'll be better off.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

like 57 stone? Did a 15x40 on the side of my house from the street... 4" deep. It was ~16 tons. The supply co could only carry 8 tons at a time... and they would not leave the pavement to dump it. Took delivery of the first 8 at the street... made my drive way then graded & compacted it to about 4-5 enough that my 22,000 rv wouldnt divot it or sink when it was wet. Then had them come back and dump the rest. Had to ply the driver with cash to back up so I didnt have to shovel 8 tons from the curb. :rolleyes: It was under $1,000 for materials, delivery, & bribery.

K51000 likes this.
  5. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Pay a concrete company and be done with it. :cool:

ducnut likes this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

He can do that shyt himself. I’ll provide the instructions ;)

For a very small fee of course.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

My Dad used millings as a base for the secondary driveway where he parked his semis and then grade 8 gravel on top.

Worked well for him for 25 years and sounds like you have a similar goal in mind.

8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Kind of like this.......[​IMG]

Finished RV pad.......[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

That's the old T.H. The RVport was sold and I'm in the process of getting a new one....the new T.H. would not have fit in the old one.....

Retirement present to ourselves.......[​IMG]

TurboBlew, mastermind and ducnut like this.
  9. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

We did this a few years ago for the motorhome of approx 25,000 lb. Cut away the top soil down to where we had solid clay, about 1ft. We probably could have gotten away with putting the gravel directly on the clay as it was a pretty solid base, but we put a layer of 6-10" sandstone from the local quarry down, then about 4 inches of #411 which is crushed limestone from about 1" down to dust. Our pad is about 20 x 45 and the materials came to around a grand from what I remember. The #411 locks in like concrete and that pad is still completely level with no sunken areas about 4 years later which is more than I can say for my asphalt driveway. The sandstone was the cheapest thing around these parts as the cheaper stuff like recycled concrete and asphalt was further away which increased the delivery charge.

I am in the process of adding a second driveway and will be just scraping the topsoil and using a geotextile fabric for the base with the #411 on top. Local landscaper says that is all he uses for driveways now and will be cheaper than having the larger stone delivered. He said that is what all the gas companies are using for their access roads which have heavier vehicles than my motorhome running over them.

10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Damn that sucks that they wouldn't leave the pavement. At my old house I had a local company add width to the existing gravel driveway any they spread it out perfectly with the truck. They were done in 15 minutes but I only had about 3" put down.