1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto America | Championship of Sonoma | Aug 10-11

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Man, the spectator attendance is brutal. I've been to SCCA club races there with more people.

2. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'm there all weekend and anecdotally, it feels even worse this year than last.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Attendance has been on the rise in the East... Must be a Cali thing..

4. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

Nonexistent marketing and poor planning. I didn’t know the race was this weekend until I saw the thread on Friday morning.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

The track itself looks dumpier and dumpier every year. It’s just looks like a cow path and the changes to the layout make the entire track look like a hodgepodge of crap.

Laz and badmoon692008 like this.
  6. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Does MA doing a lot of their own marketing or do they leave it up to the tracks?

Judging by the track surface, seems to me the track is either hurting or their just cheap skates.

Crazy to think MA is also the only real touring pro series running at NJMP anymore and the track surface is equally as bad. True SCCA Pro visits there, but I wouldn’t call a series that gets three entrants for its premier class (Formula 3) a viable pro series.

Not sure I understand the MA hate. 14 bikes in Superbike is still pretty good, especially considering all 14 will NEVER be in a battle royale for the win. Not like a club race is any better. Been to AHRMA events with two bikes on track in a run group, and what seems 2x as many classes as entrants (with the same 20 bikes double / triple dipping giving the allusion of bigger fields). Same goes, for contemporary clubs... a lot of “didn’t I just see that guy race two run groups ago?”...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Shocker likes this.
  7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

MA hires people to do things. I’m not sure what criteria is used at times.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  8. Hoffman900

Morning warm-up. Toni making a statement...

Say what you want about him, but his race craft / and psychological battles he plays with Cam are great. Going back to even last year when the tire screwed him his season, but he went out and made a point to win more races than Cam, and he made sure to say that too.

wac likes this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I like the announcer patter during quallies so far, informative, pleasant...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yup. good stuff.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Guess this is paying off for Garrett....

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Not hate, just an observation that when a 2 or 3 bikes retire/crash early (especially if they are factory guys) and the field spreads out, it’s hard to find anyone battling for position.

13. Hoffman900

One of the best races of the year. PJ looking super racy.

MELK-MAN and 5axis like this.
  14. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

goodbye. PJ is gone.

Tom Stevens likes this.
  15. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Pumped for Bryce. Oh and screw you haters. I’m enjoying watching racing and a Hazt Little Thing!

Attached Files:

418 likes this.
  16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

PJ rode an angry last 2 laps with a huge lead.

17. Hoffman900

Mathew’s bike looks crazy. Lots of Mx’ing. Wonder how much of his crashing lately is just trying to figure the electronics out. A lot of them seem to involve the rear coming around.

Holy crap! Toni!

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Just got around to watching race 1. After Gerloff passed Toni I ffw'd through the rest of it. Dear lord that was boring. Bikes so strung out it looked like only two guys showed up. Hope race 2 is better.

But I also hate Sonoma so I'm biased.

19. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Looking at the shot of the back straightaway(?) with the seams in pavement that look to a couple of inches deep :Puke:

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Watching the Twins race on fbook. Pulling for the Suzuki dude so he's probably doomed.