1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usual race mods necessities

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Lavana, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Ive been riding for some time now and just got a new showroom bike.

If keeping stock gearing how much of a difference would I see/ feel in going the 520 route?

Ss lines replacement??

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not a whole lot.....you just said you are keeping the stock gearing. The point is to change the gears to what is appropriate for that particular track you are riding.

Sure, why not

Dave250 likes this.
  3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

If you measure the performance impact on a track, I am sure that you will not measure any difference. I'm particular about brake feel so hoses can matter, but no where near as much as the pad compound in my experience. Then master cylinder and hoses. Work on where the pegs and bars are set for you to be as comfortable as possible on the new bike. If you are going to race, the mods you asked about would be pretty standard so go ahead and make them, but as I'm sure you've heard, modifying a showroom bike will be 2-3x the cost of buying a track / race bike that is ready to go. I know there are reasons to race the bike you have and not get a 2nd bike but I guess it needs to be said. The first mod I would do for a track / race bike is rear shock and fork cartridges. Well besides yanking the lights and extra crap.... :)

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What bike? Some are a lot closer to race-ready than others.

5. Lavana

Lavana The coming

R6

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Probably has a 525 chain stock, so no reason to swap right away unless you want to buy a few different sprockets for gearing choices. If you're a new novice racer just prep the bike to the rulebook minimums and buy a stack of tires and race entries.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d race it as it is. Tape up the lights, remove the extended plate hanger and mirrors. I’m not sure what catch pan fits the stock bodywork. Look at the rule book for requirements on wiring, coolant, personal gear, etc, and make sure you’re compliant. Drippin’ Wet can make you number plates to fit the stock bodywork. I wouldn’t overthink it too much. There’s no sense in spending a whole bunch of money on doing this only to find you may not enjoy it. Have you done any track days? There are a lot of racers that do them and are great resources, as well. Doing some dates will kind of show you what you may want to address.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no particular order:
    2 piece or better clip ons (adjusted to your liking)
    rear sets
    suspension (could be springs or carts w/ after market rear shock...what ever gives you the confidence in feel)
    race body
    stahlbus valve oil drain valve
    lifter or stand spools
    angled valve stems
    a pile of tires
    spool of safety wire

Not really a necessity but a spare set of wheels would make weekends less hectic.

resist the urge to "sooperbike" it as in tuning it for race gas or buying aftermarket flashes/controllers, exhausts, super stock builds, etc.

The above will give you about 7+ classes to race on a given WERA or CCS weekend.

Lavana likes this.
  9. Lavana

Lavana The coming

It’s not my first bike and I’ve raced before with white plates. I actually got a 520 kit ready to put on but thinking maybe I’ll ride it 1k miles or two without replacing it unless the bug bites me.

While I only have like 100 miles on the bike the brakes seem fine. I wanted to know if I should/ would feel a difference. I didn’t think so but just wanted to make sure from other seasoned riders.

I think it just depends on which track you are riding whether you need better brakes/ steering damper/ different gearing etc.

All the other stuff is bling or just gives you “confidence”

ducnut likes this.
  10. 2MM

2MM Well-Known Member

17+ R6? Brake lines/pads/ ABS delete does make a difference.

11. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

If its an R6 a steering damper is necessity IMO. My 17 R6 the stock brakes felt fine at a intermediate pace and i'm sure some guys could go way faster. You can always leave the abs unit on the bike and plug the ports and run standard lines and save the $250 for the ABS plug

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

last time I built a new racebike (the previous R6) my minimum mods for testing before racing were:
    - suspension, carts and shock
    - brake pads
    - brake lines
    - rear sets
    - flash
    riding anything less would just waste my time.