1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assault Weapons Ban Heading to Senate Floor

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Quicktoy, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well, I mean they've managed to help keep firearm ownership legal, so you can keep selling them to people...............

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I was saying their job is solely to protect the second amendment. You helped my argument ;)

3. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Take it away Alex:

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed29.asp

And before you go and get all agro - go re-read the 2nd Amendment. . .all of it. . .because I can promise you, based upon what is written, your view points on the subject are formulated on carefully cherry picked information that suits your particular argument and the actual argument is much more complex than you want to admit.

But again, don't take my word for it, read the link - it's from an actual Founding Father that was advocating for the 2nd and if I had to guess, he wouldn't look too favorable upon your intelligence for missing everything else that's going along with his advocating - there's actually some words in there that directly address that.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Every restriction on firearms should apply to alcohol and nicotine products. Equally.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Funny you focus on “well regulated” and “militia”, and so conveniently ignore the “rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”...

Not the “militia”. The “people”.

Potts N Pans, XFBO and gixxerreese like this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'll read it later - but my opinion won't change. The overall intent of the founding fathers was to curtail the power of the government and ensure that the people always had the ability to defend themselves from an authoritarian government, up to and including violently overthrowing said government, if necessary. The ultimate way to facilitate that is through unfettered private ownership of firearms of the type suited to anti-personnel action.

[​IMG]

gixxerreese likes this.
  7. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

I don’t know it’s basically just talking about how to regulate a militia. Now this is the problem everyone wants to point at second amendment and say it’s talking about a militia. I would say yes your right but what it doesn’t say is that the government is to supply arms to the militia. So for it to be a militia it has to be of the people therefor they would have to be armed to be ready and capable of joining militia. So when it says “ the right of the people, to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” This truly means what it is said to mean if the people cannot keep and bear arms you would not be able to create a militia.You don’t create a militia then arm it. Armed people create a militia.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes. Back then, the "militia" was every able-bodied man who could grab his rifle and join the fight.

gixxerreese likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And it’s kinda hard to be “well regulated” (read: practiced and proficient) without those arms the maroons want to confiscate.

gixxerreese likes this.
  10. ton

ton Arf!

until it bumps up against that pesky preamble. promoting the common welfare... and shit.

life, liberty, pursuit of happiness....

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

happiness is a warm gun

ton likes this.
  12. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

It’s that simple they make it hard because they want it gone so they can turn us like the rest of the world where all we can do is migrate from one dictator to the next.

13. Quicktoy

So in my pursuit of life, liberty and happiness, you want me to forfeit my rights to keep my family’s live’s safe. Got it.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

"Well regulated" means "practiced and proficient?" See, that's why no one can agree on what those ancient fuckers* really meant. :crackup:

*Don't get y'all's patriotic britches in a bunch, I'm teasing.

Quicktoy likes this.
  15. Quicktoy

Just google “puckle gun”. Was invented 78 years before 2nd amendment ink hit paper. Our forefathers wanted us to own any weapon our government had.

16. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I'll agree with your statement that they don't do anything for gun manufacturers. I'm still not understanding how any of that supports the position that their purpose is to support the 2nd amendment? Perhaps I'm jaded, but I've long had the view that their only goal was to enrich themselves and Wayne in particular. Absolutely befuddles me how this is only just now starting to be really talked about.

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. Quicktoy

Ohhhh. Gotcha. Well like I said before. I don’t think they should exist as shouldn’t need a lobby group to protect something in our constitution.

18. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Correction - it wasn't me who focused on it.

I didn't write the words. Didn't formulate the phrasing for the Constitution. Didn't decide what I was going to submit for publication in advocating for it.

You got a problem with it - you know who you have to take it up with.

But considering how much reverence those men get in here around this subject, it's interesting you now choose to ignore what they're saying (especially on the same subject). . .they got a word (or a few) for that right?

And Eggs, how can you have a militia without the people (especially when he was making a distinction between it and a standing army in the argument)?

19. ton

ton Arf!

that's not what it means and you know it.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

anti Funners loves to says "Why do you need so many ______?? Insert ad libs like rounds, horsepowers, torks, tires, Amsoil quarts, hydroponic lights, size 2 models, etc...