1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assault Weapons Ban Heading to Senate Floor

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Quicktoy, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Me either. I was a shop the other day looking at a build one of the guys there had done. I didn't realize that in their current state, the "braces" are basically just regular stocks made out of somewhat pliable material with a strap added to them.

I really need to get my ass out there and get me a pistol and take it fishing before they're banned for good :D

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Its the truths behind MK Ultra and other intelligence agency crimes that make be believe it is possible. Probable? No. Possible? Yes.

The intelligence community is the only group of people I trust less than the media.

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It's because some fuckstick hasn't shot up (insert gun free zone here) with one so the media hasn't been able to over sensationalize it.

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This shit is hilarious. Always a knee jerk reaction. Like this hasn’t been going on for years. We could’ve addressed it effectively already if we wanted.

We could, you know, assemble a commission of experts and develop a comprehensive plan to address mass shootings. Something that took into account every single facet of it from mental health to access and implement measures that would both address the issues and preserve Constitutional rights. Yes, I’m aware that I’m a naive fool.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Or be totally truthful and say, "I'm sorry 30 people died, but pull your head out of your ass, you're a million times more likely to be killed by a jackass texting and driving than you are by an "assault weapon", so stfu and be a realist".

6. SGVRider

Oh I agree, BUT. There’s the concept of political momentum. People want to Do Something because shootings are a dramatic meme. So there’s weight behind it. It’s like when the Dems helped break the healthcare system even further.

The Republicans need to learn to read and harness the political winds correctly. If we develop a comprehensive action plan, we Do Something and can make it go our way. If we let the left Do Something, they’ll take the most batshit and egregious way possible.

These shootings will keep happening and create enormous political pressure to act. Conservatives need to recognize that and utilize it in an advantageous way. Not heading it off is just a recipe for giving the left the excuse to effectively get rid of guns completely.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hope and change...

8. ton

ton Arf!

now, if only we could find an actual conservative in congress who's not in the NRA's pocket...

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No data collected by the government is ever discarded,
    Scrubbed maybe, but not discarded.

sheepofblue and Dragginass like this.
  10. In Your Corner

11. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

NRA shouldn't have to exist. a lobby group to protect a constitutional amendment made by our original forefathers. It disgusts me that dems don't fight for what our forefathers wanted and that the NRA needs to exist.

ducnut and Dragginass like this.
  12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Or they could be in the Constitutions pocket. How can you tell the difference?

13. In Your Corner

14. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Do you honestly believe that the NRA's purpose is to protect the 2nd amendment?

15. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I'm pretty sure the Ohio killer used a pistol brace

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

He did

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So just because there are other preventable death causes we should ignore this one? I am not some idiot that thinks we can stop mass killings or shootings, but if we can reduce gun deaths without undue loss of freedom, why not? I am betting we all agree that there is some point where gun ownership should be barred from a citizen, be it criminal history or mental health. The question is where you draw the line and how you enforce it. Why not take an honest look at ways to improve those practices?

The unfortunate answer is that both the D and R will most likely use this as a political football instead of actually trying to improve things.

SuddenBraking and Montoya like this.
  18. SGVRider

It’s not just absolutely refusing to entertain addressing access issues. I think it can be done in a way that preserves individual’s Constitutional rights, but it’ll be difficult. We also need to address laws regarding commitment of whack jobs, and systematically find ways to reduce the damage these people cause.

I think this will probably drive the development of either more rapid response police, or rapid response security forces at large gatherings. A QRF essentially.

I think rapid response is huge. I would think the possibility of rapid interception and neutralization would remove a lot of the incentive for these assholes. If you’re going to be shot in 30 seconds guaranteed and not get your crazy long rampage, it probably takes a lot of the sick joy out of it.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Motorcycles are dangerous. In order to protect you from yourself, we’re going to ban them. How do you feel about that one Karen?

badmoon692008, Fencer and ducnut like this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more