1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 Yamaha TZ250 4TW

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by motion, Jul 11, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Posted over in the Bikes for Sale forum IMG_6551.jpg

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sale pending

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm lowering the price to $14,500. This bike is still for sale. I have an Ebay buyer but he is not cooperating on payment.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Price reduced to $12,000

5. attack636

attack636 Well-Known Member

trade for a 2014 zx10r super bike built set up race bike only

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No trades, sorry.

7. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I have always thought that 2 stroke GP style bikes are very temperamental, primarily due to carb settings. Can this be improved wit a Lectron or SmartCard style setup? I am not even sure if this type of carb can be installed.

I know there are other maintenance items such as cranks that must be replaced in X hours, and tend to be limited in availability also. How is this factored into the ownership of this type bike?

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

here's my "not an owner" opinion from everything i've learned over the years. replacement cranks and stuff on THIS one are not as hard to come by as a Honda. Honda NXA stuff seems much more difficult to come by than any of the Yamaha or Aprilia stuff.

maintenance wise i'll tell you this in relation to my current build. i asked the dude in italy who sells all the Vdue stuff about intervals and power. the Vdue should make like 120whp with pipes and a good tune. porting it aggressively to get another 8-10whp literally cuts the interval life in half. i'll probably pass on that, at least for now. but i also bought spare cylinders, cranks, and pistons when i bought my motor just so i was on tap and ready to go for their eventual replacement. factored in as "the cost of doing business." dudes running 105whp Rotax 250's in stuff are opening them up after every weekend i think. Matt has like 72whp coming out of his Aprilia RS250 right now... to be in the 80's would drastically reduce life on stuff. it definitely seems like there is a point of tuning them where you're opening up the motor to breathe more, and then a tipping point where after becomes chasing diminishing returns for that last bit of performance.

as far as Smartcarbs... i'm gonna find out with mine and i'll be sure to report back. either you'll see a post in here sometime next year like, "damn this thing is awesome and so easy to own," or "i think these Smartcarbs blew up my motor" haha. we'll see...

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm running a SC on my 92 Yamaha WR250ZD, +6mm bore, ported for a healthy spread of power and being supermoto'd. My only complaint with the carb is I'd prefer a stiffer return spring. Other than that, I never think about it. Bike fires first kick just about every damn time. Hot, cold, raining, it doesn't care, and always runs the same.

Sweatypants likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

$11,500

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member