1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 R6 - Race Stay & Bodywork Fitment

Discussion in 'Tech' started by zammer, Aug 5, 2019.

1. zammer

zammer Well-Known Member

Having an idiot moment with a new to me R6 and installing a Motoholders race stay.. see the photos. Seems like the zero gravity windscreen or janky race bodywork on there is incorrect.

Stay says explicitly it's for this model and it matches up online.

Am I missing a piece of hardware or mount point?

Attached Files:

2. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

My 16 R6 armour bodies didnt mount to that point. the stock mirrors and bodywork mount there. mine mounted in front on the bodywork itself with some brackets that armour bodies supplied.

3. jbammin

jbammin Well-Known Member

What fairing stay do you have?

@zammer, i too have the motorholders fairing stay and this is a known issue. Everyone i know uses a zip tie to hold the windscreen to the fairing stay. Not sure how else to make it work. You can maybe try drilling a hole into the windscreen and use that middle hole + bolt to secure it but i couldn't get mine to work.

You can try purchasing DBHolders fairing stay (they sell them here for $175) and it mounts directly to the body work with the above mentioned brackets supplied by the body work manufacturer.

4. Suzuka_joe

I was using a stock fairing stay. You might have someone weld a tab to the stay you have, that'll cost less than buying a different one

5. jbammin

Or just use zipties, that seems to be the solution so far. I even reached out to MotoHolders and they didnt have much to say about it.
    Weird, because on the R1, they bolt directly to the body work at well. Dont know how they got the R6 all funky

6. Suzuka_joe

guess i know which fairing stay to not buy for my 17 R6 lol. hopefully they fixed the one i'd need, their stuff is nice

ducnut likes this.
  7. jbammin

DB Holders has a nice product as well.

8. zammer

zammer Well-Known Member

Oh man, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have the OEM stay which has a metal tab sort of janked on to the existing tab so it bolts to the front of the race fairing, but that looks like a homebrewed solution. The bike came with this brand new race stay and the PO said they just hadn't installed it yet, and I was scratching my head yesterday.

How exactly did you zip tie it to the stay without drilling a hole in the windscreen and using the threaded hole on the stay?

9. jbammin

Either way, you have to drill a hole into the windscreen. I couldn't find a way around it. I use a zip tie as the way my fairings were drilled, i wasnt able to use the threaded hole.

10. ar556

ar556 Active Member

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

heres the ZG race windscreen, which is made for these fairing stays
    [​IMG]

I still use the little AL brackets connected to the headlight mount of the OEM stay because I don't want to increase my changes of cracking a windscreen in a crash.

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

drop likes this.
  13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

^ yep. the worst issue ive had is that the frame holes needed a little oval-ing and the gauge holes were too oval for the rubber grommets.