1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire help

Discussion in 'General' started by sk8rat, Aug 4, 2019.

1. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

Hello all, well my bike burnt to a crisp this morning:( But in the process it caught the neighbors vehicle on fire as well. My bike wasn't insured so I know I'll be coming out off pocket for his vehicle, but is there anything I should be looking out for?

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

pay some/all of his deductible (might even be going above and beyond here), and his insurance should cover his car.. why would you pay for all the damage? it wasn't like you meant to burn his car down with your bike (i assume).

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Insurance or not op is liable. Expect a bill from his insurance company.. Google subrogation

4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

If it were me I’d either call an attorney or I might just make them a cash offer and try to settle it. If it goes through his insurance the insurance company will likely sue you (I think the technical term is subrogate).

Phl218 likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Was it on your property when it caught on fire? Check into your home owners insurance. The personal liability part may cover you. If his car was worth that much. Otherwise just pay for it.

Or leave some granola in his garage and wait for the black bear to maul him. Problem solved.

:D

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d think your homeowner’s would cover it, since your motorcycle wasn’t operating. Your insurance company is who you really need to be asking, truthfully.

I’m curious how your motorcycle caught on fire and managed to catch his car?

7. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

I live in an apartment complex so parking is super close, we don't have renters insurance on the apartment either. The police officer said since no vehicles were moving that it's civil between us, and if I decided not to pay then it would be a civil case etc.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Any idea what caused your motorcycle to just suddenly burst into flames?

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

After having read all posts above mine: how the eff did your bike catch fire?

10. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Are you that fucking stupid or do you live in the hood? :confused: Most apartments I've ever lived in require renters insurance or else you get evicted. You must be poor or just don't give a shit about your belongings if you don't have renters insurance. :rolleyes:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Maybe it was a former drummer for Spinal Tap? They're know to do that.

black knight, stk0308 and Mot Okstef like this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

hard kore... but yeah renters insurance is cheap and would have likely covered this incident.

13. Mot Okstef

Not hard core at all. Common sense. If you don't have renters insurance it screams "I don't give a shit about my stuff." Or "I live in da hood" and they don't require it.

The End.

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I know we are straying off topic but renters insurance is for WAY MORE than your stuff. It covers your liability. I have a bunch of rentals. A couple of years ago a lady burned down one of our houses by leaving the stove on. Our lease requires renters insurance but she had skipped a payment on her policy. Guess what... my insurance paid for the structure but turned around and sued her for all the damages. They hired fire investigators and the whole 9 yards. Not paying that $20-$40 was a life changing decision for her besides losing all of her stuff.

15. Mot Okstef

Definitely not off topic at all Steve. That was the point I was trying to get to. Hopefully this guy doesn't lose his ass over this situation because he was too cheap or lazy to pay for the insurance.

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Timely thread. My kid just smoked some little girls Corolla with our go kart, that was parked on the street, a couple streets over in the hood.

This should be fun...

joec likes this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You burnt a motorcycle and a car to the ground. How much help can you need making fire?

600 dbl are, Funkm05, RichB and 6 others like this.
  18. Lavana

Lavana The coming

How did the bike burn and in the process burn his car?

Try to settle it with him so the bill stays lower. Maybe even offer him your car and make the process easier for him assuming
    Let me get this straight....

If you have a “fire commercial liability” it requires that the persons renting have renters insurance? If you didn’t require it wouldn’t you still get payed?

19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so quick to admit or assume your bike caused his car to burn. Maybe someone set it on fire and you both should be looking at the property owner for why they potentially let an arson float around in the garage. Basically don't admit fault and don't assume anything and definitely don't admit to anything.

20. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Unless the definition of vehicle in a policy excludes "non op", it's a vehicle and not covered by renters/homeowners
    2. For liability to apply, the OP would have to have created a negligent situation by his action or inaction (to a known hazard).

The best example is a house fire. If you left a pot on the hot stove, and caused your house to burn and damage your neighbor's house, you are liable

If the wiring in your 80 year old house shorts out and the ensuing fire damages your neighbor's house, no liability. Unless you were trying to repair some wiring and that caused the fire