1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

El Paso Shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The answer is Israel. Crazy people are our Hezbollah and Hamas. You can’t stop it with laws or confiscations. You can either accept that but jobs are going to attack soft targets with somewhat regularity, or you can eliminate soft targets by flooding the general population with well armed and well trained people who’d confront the crazies before they did much damage.

ducnut, fastfreddie and Motofun352 like this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You may want to understand what Israel's gun laws are first.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/comparing-america-to-israel-on-gun-laws-is-dishonest-and-revealing/

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Now Dayton Ohio

I don’t know how many of these can happen anymore without some sort of legislation passing.

5. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Just got back from two weeks in Europe with my family (parents, brother, his wife and his kids). . .we all walked close to 50 miles during that time just doing normal shit. When we were sitting at dinner one night discussing how little we walk to places in the US, my dad said "It's just nice to be able to be outside and not worry about who has a gun and if they're crazy or not and if it's going to be us in the news that day". . .it wasn't until he said it that I realized how much I limit my time in public for that very reason. . .and how it never even crossed my mind over there.

6. SuddenBraking

Interesting you say that, as the common refrain is that "if a bunch of dead children (Sandy Hook) didn't change America's view on guns, nothing will". Comments like yours make me think there's definitely momentum as Americans are getting some real mass shooting fatigue at this point.

7. SuddenBraking

I didn't even know about that one as I just posted, but yeah - legislation and a real paradigm shift are almost certainly on the way. Before that though, there's going to be an outpouring of thoughts and prayers tweets from Republican legislators who are in the NRA's pocket.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Really?????

Wow... it's never even remotely crossed my mind.

I also don't stay inside because of wasps, bees, dogs, brain eating amoebas, MRSA, swine/bird/Spanish/pterodactyl flu, asteroids, auto accidents, or any number of other things that are more likely to kill me than a twatwaffle with a gun.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but Europe isn't magically safer than the US. Lots of crazy there too.

aaronson, RRP and ducnut like this.
  10. motorkas

Just curious - do you own weapons - and if so, do you conceal carry? If so, besides your obvious love for the constitution. . .why? (because if you're answer is what I think it is - it fucking crosses your mind - no matter how much of a bad ass you are against wasps. . .et al).

50Joe likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have a jack and a spare in the Ho but I rarely if ever think about getting a flat.

Rebel635, Wheeliest, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  12. auminer

Lost all my weapons in a tragic boating accident years ago.

No, really. I did.

Way to insinuate that a love for the constitution is somehow weird or makes one culpable by proxy in this.

And I'm not a badass against wasps. One of the little fuckers just got me last week. :mad:

sheepofblue likes this.
  13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

It also weird the low number of horses parked in the parking lot and didn't see one ten gallon stetson.

auminer likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is El Paso still considered Texas?

15. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Why in the hell is anyone surprised by this? It's not going to stop unless we lock up crazy people like we used to. Every damn one of these crazies has a history of being crazy and everyone around them trying to get help but not able to.

ducnut and Yzasserina like this.
  16. motorkas

Interesting - so you don't fear randoms with guns - but you fear having them taken away from you. . .me, not so much on the latter - so where does that put me on the "man scale" now in relation to you in terms of "irrational fears"?

IMG_9182.PNG IMG_9183.PNG IMG_9185.PNG

17. motorkas

Which one: "rarely" or "if ever" (they're two different things).

18. auminer

??? Dunno... but on the ASS/U/ME scale you're off the charts. :Poke:

And still... you said yourself above that you basically cower in your home when you're in the US due to fears of a random shooting. That's pretty damn irrational! I was merely pointing out that there are lots of other things that are more likely to kill you out there.

And if you think for one second that every one of these incidents doesn't bring us ever closer to national firearms confiscation then you haven't been paying attention. It's in this thread fer cryin out loud.

19. motorkas

Fair enough - then educate me - do you have weapons? do you conceal carry (if so, why)? were they in fact lost in a boating accident years ago (and if not - why say that they were)?

And now who's assuming about the cowering part. . .25 miles in two weeks is less than almost 50. . .25 miles would seem to indicate a lack of cowering. . .:Poke:.

zero sum rarely works in real life. . .just saying.

And I don't (national confiscation). . .and I pay very close attention. Want to debate the merits of the pros and cons of each argument - start it off. . .but if your central argument is "it's in this thread. . .got to be so then. . ." this is going to be a short debate.

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

People have been killing each other for as long as we’ve been on earth. Sad part of our nature that no amount of legislation or gun control will ever change. If a deranged individual is intent on killing he will do it with or without a gun. Hard for the bubble wrapped lives to comprehend I guess.

jdaniel, aaronson and Photo like this.