1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting front calipers off between rotor and wheel?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by turbulence, Aug 3, 2019.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

so on newer bikes with big rotors and radial calipers, is there an easy way to get the caliper off the rotor to pull the front wheel? up until now, i unbolt the caliper and just wiggle it back and forth until it comes free.. but the backside of the caliper always hits the lip of the wheel and has scratched the wheel in the past. it also feels as though the pads are grinding on the edge of the rotor as i torque it out of there.

there’s got to be a better way to do this.. am i supposed to pull the pads before sliding the caliper out of the way?

what’s your technique?

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I do what you described, I just spread the pads pretty wide. Spreading them wider let's me get the calipers off without scraping the wheels

turbulence likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You should hear what they sound like when they're actually heavy braking if the sound of the engine wasn't drowning out the sound.

turbulence likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Cut a slot in the rotor. Makes removal really easy

badmoon692008 and turbulence like this.
  5. turbulence

fuck. that seems pretty obvious. not sure why i didn’t think of that

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Put the caliper in a crown royal bag so it doesn’t scratch the wheel while I’m working it off.

7. turbulence

i’m......

i’m not sure if serious. it’s kinda genius.

i put some painters tape on the rim to keep the caliper from scratching. seemed to mostly work.

god bless the techs that have to do this on a daily basis.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Hell yes I'm serious! It's perfect. Sadly, I can't say it's my original idea. I stole it from an old school mechanic at the shop I used to work at.

9. turbulence

now i'm going to have to buy some crown :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Win Win !

turbulence likes this.
  11. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

If I’m not mistaken, if you bevel the leading edge of the pad material it should ease the removal of the caliper. I’m sure one of the endurance guys has a picture of what I’m describing.

turbulence likes this.
  12. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I have a 17 R6, I have to wiggle the caliper back and forth a tad spreading the pads to remove them easily. IDK if i'd bevel front pads

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

This

14. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Is that you Brock?

Bevel the rear pads for sure though, much more of a pain in the ass when re-installing that wheel and way less critical braking power wise.

15. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I mean...if you’d like you can call fast frank and ask him if they bevel front pads, or any other endurance guys for that matter..... the facts are the op asked if there was an easier way to get the calipers off with bigger rotors, having a bevel on the pad will certainly aid in removing the calipers easier.