1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deck building

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I really dislike the heat aspect of composite. We settled on untreated cedar and just let it weather for a natural look, so we didn't get into the maintenance cycle of paint or stain or oil. It feels great with bare feet. The cost wasn't much mere than treated deck boards that would have had the added cost of finish. I would recommend it for consideration.

joec and Phl218 like this.
  2. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

On the works for that also in my backyard project.
    Stamped concrete around the pool and now the side of the house will get the continuation of the driveway and then the new deck to finalize this massive project.... which is starting to give me sleepless nights !!!

speedluvn likes this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Stamped/textured concrete feels wonderful while walking on it....it has a luxurious feel that a wood deck never has.

KneeDragger_c69 and speedluvn like this.
  4. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

They sealed it yesterday... :)
    You can't really see it from this angle but there is a 2' drop at the end of the ciment.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Happened to me - moved in and the cedar deck was "okay" but after six years, it'd had enough. Spent the last two weekends ripping up all the boards and will replace with pressure treated pine (not interested in the painting and maintenance that come with non-treated wood).

BTW, product plug - if you need to rip up your deck, do yourself a favor and get a Duckbill Deck Wrecker. It's like $85 but holy shit is it a great tool.

IMG_3753.jpg

G2G, TurboBlew, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Oh, you'll get your fill of maintenance with pressure treated. Especially if you get any amount of sun.

XFBO, speedluvn and Phl218 like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

It will definitely impact your tax assessment. My value went up 25 grand. Have to pay $100 more a year now

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

How many times did the inspector have to come out, at least for your jurisdiction? Before the pouring of the concrete footing, any other time?

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

There’s a patio building thread as well :beer:

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Looks great, that's a very nice pool, especially the hot tub option.

11. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Here is one of my favorites I have done for work. It was a bit of a challenge building out over the slope, meeting concrete on opposite sides and bending the edge band without relief cuts. Trex makes for a nice finished deck, but it is not cheap. IMG_4809.JPG IMG_4793.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4798.JPG

j cal, speedluvn, Tom Stevens and 7 others like this.
  12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Nice....no hand rail?

BigBird likes this.
  13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

It did get iron railing. Owner had his own guy do that, so I got pics before the railing was installed.

BigBird and Razr like this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

https://imgur.com/gallery/gR5aC5P

BigBird, speedluvn and Razr like this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

1. To check ground density before concrete
    2. Final inspection

speedluvn and TurboBlew like this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just a guess as many jurisdictions are different but probably the following:
    - footing inspection
    - framing inspection (connections, hardware, step dimensions, joists & posts)
    - final inspection (deck boards, railings, etc.)

If you needed a (3rd party) compaction inspection for the footing(s) I think market price is ~$150ish.
    FL allows "private" building inspections so big developers can keep projects moving by having 1 or 5 on site or at their disposal. Your State/town may vary.

speedluvn, XFBO and Phl218 like this.
  17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What would that be? My thinking was I'm using screws and pressure treated, so any problem areas should be real easy to swap out (if it gets to that). Hoping to get a good 10-15 years of *moderately* maintenance free decking (maybe a pressure wash a year and a stain/paint every five years or something resembling that schedule).

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is this a trade/technique secret or was there some machinery involved??

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Based on my plastic decking just let it sit in the sun and it'll bend easily :D

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Trex makes an oven. I just used my buddies oven at his powder coating facility. Needs to be 182° at the core. Takes about 40 minutes before you can tie the decking in a knot! :D