1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried searching, R6 chain length help please

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Suzuka_joe, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

17 R6, I have a 116 link 520 setup with 15/47 although i want to put a 45T sprocket on the back and try that, track days only. Am i going to need a new master and cut my chain down to 114 links or can i fit the 15/45 on with 116 links and run a little longer wheel base?

thanks for a quick response on a question that's been asked prolly 50 times. I just couldn't find anyone who ran a 116 link w/ 15/45

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re eliminating two teeth, so you’re adding roughly 2 links to your chain run, one on top and one on bottom. That’ll require roughly one link length in your axle slots to slide rearward. If you’re not at the pointy end of the fast guys, you’re probably not going to notice the difference in handling.

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

gearingcommander.com will tell you how many links for a given sprocket combination

ducnut and pscook like this.
  4. Suzuka_joe

Yeah i uesd Gearing commander and see than my wheel will move back approx .34" from where it is now. Pretty sure i have that adjustment so i just need to measure it this evening, i was just curious if anyone had ran that and could tell me off hand if it works or now.

I'm also no where near the sharp end of things so i doubt i'll feel a difference by add .34" of wheelbase, playing with chain length will probably never be a concern of mine, i doubt i'll go any lower than 15/45 since my available tracks close are around 1.7mi

ducnut likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

each tooth is ~4mm, each pair of links is ~16mm.

15/45-116 is within range for swingarm lengths that feel good. 15/45-114 is too short for me.

as far as gearing selection, track length doesn't usually matter. gear for all the turns, not the straights (unless theres a long one where u shouldn't top out). don't sacrifice tons of corner speed just to get slightly better drives. running into a corner at 15k rpm is a great way to kill your corner speed because the bike is nervous, its hard to blip that far, and theres a lot of engine braking. as you get faster, you'll likely want to gear taller more. 15/43 is my go-to ratio when showing up to a new track and I generally race using 42-44.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ Great tips.

I used to shorten the wheelbase and leave the long chain, so there’d be a lot of slack. Tech would question me about it and I always responded “If it’s not jumping teeth, it’s good.”. Plus, it allowed me plenty of adjustment, without screwing with a bunch of stuff. No way I could afford a bunch of gearing and use a spreadsheet to figure out optimal wheelbase versus gearing options. Leave that to the fast guys.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

15/47 with 116 is 582mm swingarm length. 15/45 is 590mm. That's a really, really long swingarm length for an R6, if it even fits. If we get over 580, our riders have complaints about grip and other behaviors. Big changes in length like that often require a spring change. I don't know your skill level, but you are approaching a situation that will compromise the handling. If you went to a 16/48, you would have the same gearing as the 15/45 and a 574 mm swingarm length. You might like that better.

8. Suzuka_joe

this is the response i was kinda looking for lol, right now i know my chain wheelbase is a tad on the long side. you'd suggest i shorten to 114 links then

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No, I suggested you change to 16/48 with the same chain. But you can do it either way.

ducnut likes this.
  10. Suzuka_joe

I'm not super fast and a master link only costs $13. I already have the 15, 45,47 sprockets and my chain has 2 track days on it. But i appreciate your input!!!

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

once u cut to 114, u prob won't be able to use the 47 anymore. I don't know anyone that can stand the R6 that short. 16/47-116 does seem like an inexpensive compromise.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Most tires would hit the swingarm before you could use 15/47 @ 114.

stangmx13 likes this.