1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deck building

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Timely discussion that started in the odd picture thread. There’s already a patio thread. Any info would be helpful. I had two contractor quotes. For what they quoted me I feel confident that I can do this myself as I have many DIY projects.

I intend to use composite because I want very little maintenance when complete.

Don’t be shy with your info fellow beebers .

BigBird likes this.
  2. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

After all my research, and a south facing rear deck (WI). I went with deck boards, #1 premium treated- not the green ones, these are brown.

AND USE THE CAMO TOOL!! If you're not sure what that does, ask.

I had cut down a tree over it that dropped all it's crap on it- imnportant,
    and I just spray it down once a year with a good water seal- it'll last 20+ yrs for sure.

The End

BigBird and speedluvn like this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Use select grade pressure treated for the framing.
    All composite decking gets hot in the sun, regardless of color.
    Research partially encapsulated, fully encapsulated and full composite.
    Full composite if you can afford it, imo.
    Go to the manufacturers website, and look at their products. Trims, rails, fasteners.
    Some lumber yards will loan you the guns for the hidden fasteners. Some you have to screw, and can be more visible. Pros and cons to both fasteners.
    If you're doing cable rail, go vertical, as everyone, especially snot eaters, will use your railing for as a ladder.
    AZEK/Timbertech > anything else.

G 97 likes this.
  4. speedluvn

I was looking at Fiberon. How is AZEK/Timbertech compared to Fiberon?

I was thinking hidden fasteners. I understand that if I needed to replace a board, some fastener systems require me to pull up more than a few boards?
    What do you see as efficient?
    Thanks for the info!

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Thought i would share on the composite decking, people I know who have it, have dissuaded me from using it due to the elevated temperatures compared to wood. (Unless it is covered).

6. speedluvn

I'm considering a composite pergola or some other type of semi shade producing structure.

Britt likes this.
  7. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

Freestanding deck or attached to the home?

Either way, I recommend referencing the "Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide, 2015 version" for the construction of your deck to keep you and your family safe. I've investigated a lot of deck failures lately, mainly ledger board and railing failures. Your permit office may have a guide tailored for your city.

https://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/dca/AWC-DCA62015-DeckGuide-1804.pdf

Also pay attention to the joist spacing as the recommendations are different for parallel vs. diagonal oriented deck boards. Each manufacturer may be different.

After 3 years, the Azek deck boards on my deck haven't had any issues (south facing deck that gets a lot of sun)...they do get hot if you are barefoot on the deck in the direct afternoon sun. I just clean deck boards and all of the vinyl every spring.

Tom Stevens likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

FWIW, I believe newer versions of the International Residential Code address the ledger board related failures. I haven't seen the section, but I recall a webinar session mentioning it is coming.

9. speedluvn

Attached to the house. I'm definitely building to code. Has anyone had any experience with LedgerLOK Ledger screws/bolts? I plan to use them. Thoughts

10. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

Section R507

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

i built mine free standing, off the house. maintaining a 1/4" gap for the third year now.

600 sqft , L-shaped around sunroom. 10 ft wide stairs going down 5ft.

i started out using the lowes deck builder tool (https://lowestools.diyonline.com/se...trypage.html?storeid=store99&from_entrypage=1) to do the general layout. they also give you plans and different views and do the full BOM for you. i ordered everything off that and had it delivered . material was around 6k with composite decking.

got a permit at the county. dude will want to assess ground density down in post holes (if you are not using some above ground stuff) , so don't pour concrete in there yet.

i also did some grading away from the house, to get water away from half basement. all covered with landscaping fabric and a thick trap, followed by 10 tons (!) of gravel.

best investment was a BOSCH laser, to help get posts aligned and even more something i will mention later... strings are a must nonetheless.

getting everything delivered is nice, since pressure treated wood is really heavy sometimes. i let everything sit and dry before install. yeah, some say nail it together and tie everything tight to keep it straight. i went the other route and after 3 years, i still have a deck with less than 1/2" variance over a 35' length. achieved that by selecting joists, installing them top buckle up and using the laser, , a sharpie and a planer. after planing , sealed the cut with tar paint. for doubled-up joists and beams, i used tar strips to prevent moisture intrusion.

biggest work load will be nailing the frame, so a nail gun with zinc-plated mails will come in handy. i also added lots of screws for reinforcement.

2 things i regret: not using stainless screws for the deck boards and / or using a hidden screw system.

hit me up if you have any specific questions.

oh and i built a 15x15 pergola, added 2 fans, string lights and a sun sail... you can sit outside at noon in full august heat here.

can add pics tonight.

once the thing was finished, the inspector came to have a look, looked underneath once for a second or 2, mentioned that i needed a "grabable" handrail on at least one side of the stair railing and finished off his inspection with "you outdid yourself here" - that was the nicest thing someone said to me that year.

SuddenBraking, Tifosi and BigBird like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

FML

13. speedluvn

I'm still up in the there about going the permit route. Main reason is I don't wanna involve myself in the bureaucracy. I will build to code.

Ive seen the Lowe's deck planner and started using the tool. I intend to use a hidden screw system. I would love to see how the pergola looks, especially with the fan.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

My Dad and I replaced their deck with Trex. They are a composite type and require a “floating” type of attachment that allows the boards to expand and contrast vs. being screwed down solid. Pricey but seem to be holding up very well. I think color selection is a huge advantage and maintenance free. (Have to keep Shirley (Mom) happy. LOL.) I would never use treated lumber with paint or stain, you’re asking for a never ending cycle of restain/repaint as the wood will never absorb the stain or paint and will flake off.
    3EFB7671-40C5-40DC-91D0-C299D066CA2D.jpeg A6165973-96CA-4A08-A3A4-639C9A2A42BF.jpeg

BigBird likes this.
  15. speedluvn

I DO NOT want to have too much periodic maintenance besides spray washing the deck sporadically.

16. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Yep - the house we moved into 3 years ago has an absolutely massive deck, which is nice. But it's painted. This summer, really looking at it, the paint is in bad shape and desperately needs touching up. I don't have the time and really don't want to pay a thousand+ to have someone come do it for me. .....so now it sits and gets worse.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

I know the feeling and now my one seems to be leaning more than i remember. BBQs are cancelled till I give a $hit, oh and the pool still has the cover. Man I need to win the lotto.

G 97 likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Cheaper to go concrete!!!

Spitz likes this.
  19. speedluvn

You could like into being a male whore :Poke: to supplement your income. Just don't let the wife know or you may join that other thread that shall not be named :rolleyes:

BigBird likes this.
  20. speedluvn

Well, my original quotes for a "large" deck until I received the quotes. Then I was thinking, why? I thoroughly enjoy being mildly inebriated by a fire in the Fall and Spring. So I reduced my decks needs and have incorporated a patio with a fire pit adjoining the deck.

Razr and BigBird like this.