1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Slick 200/55 to 200/60 Rear tire..... Geometry Changes

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gcally, Jul 29, 2019.

1. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

What kind of geometry changes did you guys make when going from a 200/55 to 200/60 Dunlop rear slick.

Specs show the 200/60 diameter at 671 mm compared to the 200/55 of 656 mm.
    That is a 15mm difference in diameter which in theory would be 7.5mm difference in rear ride height needed.

2. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Also why size do you guys like better? Dunlop is still selling both sizes but I assume they are not producing any of the 200/55 tires anymore.

3. Cybernaut

Cybernaut Well-Known Member

Is that true, no more 200/55?

4. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Once current stock is gone they will not be making them anymore.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Well they did launch the 200/60 last year so why would they keep an old product around?

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's taller in the center, but the profile is different. You will probably shorten the shock, but ride it first, try to do a back-to-back with the old tire, and see what you feel.

7. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I am currently using the setup numbers you gave me and bike is working great but I have only used the 55 tire.
    With the 60 tire if I shorten the shock I will be sacrificing swing arm angle. How much shorter on shock do you think I should try if I don't like the way the 60 feels.

8. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

I'm not a chassis expert, but wouldn't it make more sense to raise the front to maintain swing arm angle if a change is needed? I'll be switching to the new tire as well soon, so I'm interested to hear opinions.

9. Cybernaut

cause I hate having to do a new setup up new taller profile , I'm already topped out at the front :eek:

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

30 plus MA riders have figured it out so I guess it's time for you to move forward too?

11. Cybernaut

nahh take would require logic

12. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

And losing a bunch of track day trophies

13. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Shit, when did we move to 200's?

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think around 2013'ish when Dunlop US started phasing out the old 195/65 UK NTEC slicks (which were pretty awesome BTW) they were importing and the AMA Superbike guys started using the 200/55 US-made slick.

15. adio1dog

adio1dog Well-Known Member

Hey Greg, when I switched last year at the triple crown event at Pittrace , I didn't change a thing on my 2014 GSXR 1000 and I went quicker on my first session. All riders are different and of course RM has the BEST data, but at my pace I felt the 60 tire to better right away with no changes.

Mattinrsm likes this.
  16. khill

khill Well-Known Member

^ This....I've ridden 2 bikes back to back and we initially didn't change anything. After a race weekend, we made a slight ride height change (-1mm) and left it alone.

Mattinrsm likes this.
  17. consumer38

consumer38 Well-Known Member

I haven't made any changes. Considering raising the front a few mm to compensate for the geometry change while braking and turning in. The bike does feel a little more on the nose in those situations. I think the mid corner geometry is probably not altered much being off the larger diameter of the new tire. I do like the 200/60 for edge and drive grip. Seems a noticeable improvement as a larger tire would. You will probably notice the taller tire in gearing though.

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I made the change to the 200/60.....and didn't change a thing on the RSV4. Per Tim Bemisderfer (Dunlop vendor), he said to leave it alone, ride it, and evaluate. I did just that, and felt great as is. I'm no superstar and out of racing so there's that to consider. But i i do win trackdays on occasion.

Mattinrsm likes this.