1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new brake rotor straightener, surfacer found

Discussion in 'General' started by skidooboy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i know our race community lost Will, at will's rim repair and we are/were looking for a new contact for help with rotors. Rick Lind (wera racer and forum member) told me about a guy we have right here in michigan, tom at true disk: https://truedisk.net/ he will straighten and resurface rotors. fixed rotors 45.00 ea. floating 50.00 ea. (plus shipping to him, and back to you). i have no interest in this business, just letting you know my experience. if this is not allowed, please delete.

i sent my 2013 zx10r rotors with 7300 miles on them, with a pulsation. he explained i had some run out, and straightened the rotors, then resurfaced them for a flat pad sweep area on both sides to make them parallel, with one another. he received my rotors on thursday, repaired them thursday night, shipped back to me on friday, i had them saturday morning.

installed and test rode almost 100 miles yesterday with new carbonne loraine pads, NO PULSATION, GREAT PAD BITE, VERY HAPPY with not having to spend 500.00 or more on new a/m, or oem rotors.

if your rotors are out of spec, or wont true, he will let you know they are not salvageable, and dispose of them for you, unless you want to pay for the return shipping on a paperweight. he didnt elaborate if he could do wheels or not but, he does a FANTASTIC JOB on rotors. he answers emails timely, and explains everything clearly. seems like a guy that corners low.

Ski

malik ross, bacolmm, BigBird and 6 others like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Promoting someone who is a benny to the race comunity is allowed.....isn't it? :beer:

Phl218 likes this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Awesome ski... I still have your old broken rotor hanging on that trophy!

4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I'll have to save his contact.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have a bent rotor laying around.

Great info!

Big T likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

TrueDisk is quite well known in the restoration industry.

I wouldn’t have thought taking material off a race rotor to be advisable, given it reduces thermal capacity. On a restored vintage bike it wouldn’t be too much concern, though.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I surfaced the rotor for my RD350B street bike back in high school (70's). Not rocket science.

Can't you get that done at a car brake shop? I had my Explorer OEM disks surfaced once.

8. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

he doesnt "turn" them in the fashion you are thinking. think: honing a cylinder before installing new rings/piston. he straightens the rotors, then crosshatches the faces. yes, i understand it removes "some" material but, there is a spec on the rotor for a reason, and he utilizes that spec. Ski

Phl218 likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I know how he does it and it still removes quite a bit of material. That he doesn’t go to minimum thickness is meaningless, when it comes to a track rotor, as one should never run a thin rotor anyway. It DOES impact thermal capacity and I simply wouldn’t do it on a track bike. It’s the very reason one can order rotors in different thicknesses from Braketech, Brembo, etc.

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Using your brakes will reduce the thickness of the rotor, no different then turning them. That's why there is a thickness limit, regardless of how you get there.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Less brakes = faster

Thought you assholes were racers? :D

12. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Pfft. Lately they’re canners and quilters.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

thats how them LSR Salt & Dirt guys do it!1 :D

14. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Wonder if he can do EBC XC rotors? Have a set that causes severe shaking under hard braking

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Not likely, cars typically have iron rotors, most bikes are stainless. Being that thin and hard its just going to chatter to shit on a regular brake lathe. I don't know what process is used by true disk but i'd assume it is or similar to a blanchard grinder. I had a few ground by them, worked very well.

YamahaRick likes this.
  16. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah it would be some kind of grinding process.

17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You mount the rotor on a lathe and use a tool post grinder.

The one in the image would be rotated 90 degrees for this task.

Then again, there are also specialized machines for this task as well.

1312.jpg

18. loser

loser Well-Known Member

I had a set of rotors done by Truedisk. I was very happy with the results.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So probably looking at something in the neighborhood of $150 to have a set of front rotors serviced and your finished product has a shortened lifespan compared to a new set of rotors.....I dunno, I'd be a little skeptical and probably would just put that money towards a set of fresh rotors. I found a front set of Brembo Serie Oro rotors for my 1000 a few months back for $315 shipped. Sometimes great deals are out there, just gotta shop around a bit :D

ducnut likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I was browsing BrakeTech’s page, today, and saw they have a bunch of closeout deals....like $50 for some rotor applications.