1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any chance of a stock class ever coming back?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jon Wilkens, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Similar to the old GSXR class back in the day. As in bone stock and only removing road requirement stuff.

Say take a R6 (or whatever make/model you choose), out of the box, change tires but still be DOT and no warmers, change bodywork over to track stuff to remove all lights and such, remove mirrors.......and go. No exhaust, no fancy suspension, no tuning....just ride it. Everyone on same equipment, and it's all down to monkey twisting the grip. I think it would be fun and some close racing.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

has superstock become lopsided to the point the current rules arent working?
    are you going to police who preps the bike(s) and make sure all the racers are within the stock tolerance of these production machines?
    what about tire pressures? what if a polar bear sized racer wants in on this stock class action?
    what if Brand X tire has a marked advantage over Brand Y tire??

3. Jon Wilkens

Instead of just being negative and crapping all over the idea right out of the box....how about ideas to make it work.

How many SS classes are there? I am suggesting a one make class (R6 was simply an example)...so your question does not matter.
    How hard is it to look over a stock bike? sheesh
    Tire pressures? Really? Give me a break...
    Not my problem if you are polar bear sized...lose weight.
    Tires would be spec'd to keep it even...maybe one of the distributors could swing a deal to keep costs down...don't care what tire...just DOT.

4. TurboBlew

so asking questions is "negative" ??? :rolleyes:
    there is A, B, C, D, E, F, & LTW superstock classes.

so this is "your" spec class. Then be more specific. You want close racing but have a shit ass attitude about who
    can compete in this fictional class. Or maybe you missed the E & F races?
    Your reponses are hilarious. Still dont see what is wrong with the superstock classification thats currently legal.
    Why not show up in an A,C, D, E, F, or LTW superstock race spec'd out just like you dream and see what happens??
    Why does a new class have to be created?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

So you want to make a class that everyone has to buy the same bike for, can't be ridden in if they made any modifications that are legal for all other classes, and if they aren't 5'6" and 160 pounds they're going to be at a large disadvantage because they aren't allowed to make any suspension modifications... Sounds brilliant, I don't see how this hasn't been implemented already.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Stock exhausts may not cure cheating,but my guess is it would limit the effectiveness of those using motor mods to cheat.

I think the idea of taking a new bike and having to spend 5 or 10k more to make it competitive is ridiculous.I also realize that many who do that aren't going to be much more competitive than if the bike was in a less modified state anyway.I also realize the best rider is pretty much gonna win no matter what.

Finally,I was around when most bikes were stockers(or close)and 30-40 guys were lined up to race,they were glory days for sure.Wishful thinking that stock class rules would bring those days back.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

What is your problem FFS? You obviously don't get it...so move along. OR contribute something constructive..

8. Jon Wilkens

This isn't anything new...it's been done before...a one make spec class that produced great racing. Not asking to be flown to the moon here...just tossing out ideas and wondering how it could be duplicated in today's environment.

I've seen plenty of bigger guys haul the mail...and as in any club racing...the rider will always be the biggest x factor on a given bike. I've never seen all the rules from the Suzuki cup (or whatever it was called back then)...but I know the Brits used to run LC350s pretty much stock back in the day and it was hilariously fun racing. They might have allowed spring changes only to cope with the weight...again, not a big deal to incorporate if needed or to inspect.

You are thinking way too deep here...and then on top of it...cop an attitude for whatever reason. Go hang with the other dude...sheesh

9. Jon Wilkens

I guess too many ego's get in the way for this type of an idea...KISS principle here.

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Did you get the pics of the ZRX racebikes I sent you?

There’s a stock class that would be a hoot.:D

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

They have/had that rd350LC thing going a couple years ago in the UK. All the bikes were equal across the board and each racer pulled a key out of the hat and found the matching bike. That was seriously cool to watch,and you knew going into it that McKenzie would be on top o'the box respectively:D So basically the fast guys are going to be the fast guys no matter what.I personally like the idea of stock classes,but accept going into it that there will always be people that won't follow the rules. So either beat them or just move on.

Phl218 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Back in the day, it was production and superbike for the classes. Production allowed fork springs and oil, rear shocks, brake lines and pads, clutch plates and handlebars to be changed. Street equipment had to be removed and that was about it. There were cheaters and accusation of cheating back then and it is not that easy to police. I think the main issue these days is that track day riders and most street riders have modified their bikes so they would no longer be eligible for a production class. If it were to work now, I think it would need to be with the 300/400 class where somebody could buy a cheap bike and leave it stock. I can't imagine anybody getting a 600 and using it for only one class.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

Im asking you legit questions and you cop the attitude. You can go fuck right off. Yeah... Im clueless what your thought process is for sure. Maybe you missed the R3 cup?? Thats not close racing?
    Theres 7 "stock" classes to choose from at a WERA event. There is no rule compeling you to do ANY performance mods other than the basic safety and fluid containment.
    Why dont you buy and prep all the bikes you think the class will draw. Then call it the JW Invitational @ WERA wkend. You put up a pot of money as a purse. Im pretty sure "the competition" will come.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. Jon Wilkens

I am not talking a stock class that allows any bike that fits the class...I am talking about a single make/model class. sheesh As usual...you've added nothing but drivel...like I said...go find something else to do.

15. Jon Wilkens

yes it would...wobbly bikes with crap suspension and a lot of motor. lol

16. Jon Wilkens

Totally agree...the cheaper the better. The entire idea is to have a class that would just be seriously fun to race and be close racing. Racing does not necessarily mean 600s or 1000s (I know that is hard for some to believe though...). The simpler the class and mods allowed is all that I'm suggesting here.

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

From the guy who just put $2k set of Dymags on an SV...

:D

JJJerry and Jon Wilkens like this.
  18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Beating a dead horse.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

Ktm 390 cup.

Jon Wilkens and Phl218 like this.
  20. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

the new stock bikes are already coming with fancy suspension and electronics. us poor people that have old bikes need that stuff to keep up with the new bikes

Jon Wilkens and Dave250 like this.