1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPF on helmet visors.....

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jul 21, 2019.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

So over the years, I’ve been kind of disappointed with how beat up helmet visors get during track abuse. Bikes kick up a lot of debris, and the ABS plastic just scratches and chips so easily. These visors aren’t getting any cheaper, and I don’t have Broome “replace every few races” money, so I needed a better solution.

I’ve been using Xpel Ultimate on the headlights of my 2015 F150 since I bought it, and 60k miles later they still look brand new. Great quality stuff that is self-healing and seems to be a step above the 3M Ventureshield.

Today I took some Xpel and created a template against my Bell Race Star and am very happy with the results. Crystal clear and should stand up much better to abuse.

First pic is creating the template, second is fitting up the Xpel and prior to install, and last pic is the finished result. Can’t even tell it’s there, and doesn’t affect visibility through either the smoke or clear visors. You just need to make sure you are using a flat profile race shield, as it would be very difficult to get this to work on a curved shield.

8F15BF7A-DFD7-4102-B8E7-7EED4410F56C.png
    24406D6D-73CC-48B9-953C-7F176AA6BC79.png
    F98EE161-07EB-42A5-9BA1-191D8CB5CA39.png

Steeltoe and 418 like this.
  2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I think that may be a great idea. I have it on my bike head light and tail light but never thought about this option.
    Going to try it out as I have some on the shelf here someplace.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Gixxer better not post in this thread.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  4. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

That’s why I always run a tear off, it protects the expensive visor. I almost never pull them unless I’ve got a big ass bug right where I’m looking out. I just wipe them off when I pit.

alan and NemesisR6 like this.
  5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Exactly what I did. I just cleaned the visor with the tear off still on it the entire day and maybe the full weekend if the tear off holds up good enough.

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Broome does not replace his face shield every few races as you stated.

He replaces the shield after each track session.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  7. NemesisR6

I thought about doing that, but the tear offs I have don’t cover a good portion of the visor. With this I have a permanent solution that you wouldn’t know is even there.

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Is it opaque looking like that all the time, or is that just during the application process?

9. NemesisR6

Haha no, that’s just when I was positioning it to make sure the fit was right. It still has the backing on it. When applied (correctly), it’s crystal clear.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This sounds like a business opportunity :D

11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Bullshit. He replaces his entire helmet after each session to prevent bad juju.

dtalbott likes this.
  12. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Not far from the truth. At Tally one time he went off in the 90's (the right-hander) on the first lap of a race. End of day he asks me if I needed a take-off. Tire had one warm up lap and the lap he went off track on it. He wouldn't ride it anymore due to bad juju. :crackup: And yes, I took the tire!

dtalbott likes this.