1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I bought a Kawi versys 650 just to ride to Alaska, I really wanted the little tiger but it wasn't in the budget. Sold it a few months after I got back for $500 less than I paid for it, I'd added about 6500 to the mileage. :) Another buddy bought a Tenere, the third was on a KTM 950. I didn't feel like I gave up anything to them, sure they had more acceleration, and the Tenere was more comfortable. But I could roll mine around the campground fully loaded. :) My buddy was able to pick up the Tenere fully loaded when he dropped it making a tight u turn in Haines Junction, but he rode harleys before that so knew the technique. My buddy with the KTM dropped his on the Denali Hwy and he needed help. :)

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It wasn't because the 950 is heavier than the Yamaha...:)

83BSA likes this.
  3. Newsshooter

I knew that, and I was laughing the whole time, he was pissed, of course he seemed that way most of the trip.

Britt likes this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Keep what you got, for that trip and beyond. The GS is a nice bike and does everything reasonably practical, really well. Call it an 80/20 bike, if you will.

Then when you decide you want something dirtier, a DR, DR-Z, KTM/Husq 500, XR650L, RE Himalayan, and the like will still be reasonably decent onroad, with much better dirty manners than any of the ~800cc options, offroad. An 800, 1100, 1200, and 1250 are all pigs, no matter what the hype might say. The Jimmy Lewises of the world are rare.

I love that V85.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

He was doing it wrong...man if you're riding ANYWHERE...there is zero reason to be pissy, I've picked my 950 up plenty.

Stumpy and ducnut like this.
  6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

When I sold the Africa Twin and went back to the DR650 I missed the ability to pass anything hauling my 225lb ass around whenever I wanted. :D

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards hanging on to the GS and picking up a DR650. I found one an hour north of my son in PA for a great price that already has the nice features put on. Only catch is if I buy it, he'll end up riding it! I've never done the KAT and it's located damn near in my back yard. I figure the DR650 would be perfect. I had an XR400 and my best friend had a DRZ...I want just a little more grunt.

SmokeSignalRT and ducnut like this.
  8. Newsshooter

Yup, won't be going on anymore trips with him, the guy on the Tenere finally got fed up with his crap and told him to quit being a PIA. He never had an opinion on the route or stops for the day, wouldn't lead and often lagged behind, then would complain he didn't get do what he wanted. We didn't talk for 6 months after the trip. :)

ducnut and Britt like this.
  9. rd400racer

:crackup:

Sorry man, did a trip like that with a friend and my brother once. My brother finally blew up on him when he stopped 15 miles after we headed out in the morning because he needed a smoke. Friend was so flustered that he dropped his bike on the side of the road. Now the only person my brother will ride with is me.

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the DR talk .. just rolled mine out of the Barn this morning and washed it . Needs a new starter , and most likely a battery.
    I love that bike . Year 2000 bought new , have 32,000. Trouble free miles on it .
    Have been looking at that 790 kit and big valve head for a while now . Some day soon

ducnut likes this.
  12. motoracer1100

Also .. the DR needs a 320 front rotor kit . Just stay away from the EBC rotors , they are crap . Pro cycle is the place for DR parts and accessories

ducnut likes this.
  13. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I have a dr790 and an r1200gs. There’s not much the DR can do that the GS can’t. However, the GS is way more comfortable in every situation. The only terrain I’d choose the DR in over the GS would be tight single track and maybe really steep rocks just cause the GS is such a bitch to pick back up if you drop it. Double track, gravel, twisties, highway, 2up, etc the GS is better.

XFBO and ducnut like this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A lot of awesome and accurate feedback on ADV bikes, here. This place rocks!

You can’t go wrong.

SpeedyTide and rd400racer like this.
  15. motoracer1100

Can’t argue with any of that . The only catch is the DR is about 1/3 the cost of a GS

XFBO, JCP636 and ducnut like this.
  16. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

A few friends have DR's. One guy in particular has them pretty figured out. He's got 2 or 3 I think (he buys them and stashes them at friends houses around the US for when he's traveling). The last two that he had wore Ohlins rear shocks and RMZ forks, along with some other stuff. Pretty solid bike. Light enough to have some fun but enough power to work decently in most areas. He's also got two 950 Super Enduros (they are getting cheap enough he just bought a second one "just in case") so he's pretty good on the big bikes. Here's the two of us on a section of FS road in north GA a few weeks ago (he's on his most recent DR650, me on my 950).

XFBO, Britt and motoracer1100 like this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

gt#179 likes this.
  18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

little bump here but a couple of friends and I are going to ride part of or all of the Kentucky Adventure Tour/Trail next week. Starting in Jellico TN (right on the TN/KY border on I-75) Tuesday morning. More than likely riding clockwise but will decide as the weather turns. One guy is only riding till Thursday, my friend Steve and I are going to ride maybe 4 or 5 days or the whole loop depending upon our fitness, weather, and trails. :)

If you don't know the KAT, it's a 1000 mile dual sport loop in KY, TN, and WV. Has some additional "hard" sections if you want to challenge yourself. Two of us will be on KTM 950 Super Enduros, the other guy is debating between his 525 and Super Tenere (he'd like to ride some of the harder sections)...

if anyone is interested or wants more details, PM me. Looks like the temperatures are dropping in the forecast (was supposed to be low 90's, now it's in the low 80's!) but showing more rain chances. It's supposed to be a pretty "sporting" ride in the wet. :)

19. rd400racer

I'm going to do that one of these days since it's in my back yard. There is a KAT thread on the ADV Forum and the main guy posted up some vids of last weeks ride at various places.

20. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I bought a DR650 back in March already "farkled" out. Planning on the TAT next summer when I become unemployed.
    Got a 'lil tractor too (TW200)!! Fun little bike!