1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M-O-O-N: That spells Legacy

Discussion in 'General' started by I'm with Stupid, Jul 11, 2019.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What, did someone find the studio?
    I'd moonwalk all over that set. :D

orangesuzuki and Mot Okstef like this.
  2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’ll bet Armstrong’s first footprint was most likely destroyed by the lunar module when it launched off of the moon :(

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I think Armstrong & Aldrin have punched more than a few tinfoil hat assholes when confronted with that shit.

Gorilla George and Shenanigans like this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah, there's no way it was faked. The govt wasn't in the business of producing blockbuster action/adventure films.
    I remember hearing stories about some Fed alphabet agency calling the set of Get Smart and asking for the plans for the Cone of Silence...only to be told, “It's not real. This is TV. It's make-believe.” To which said agency responded, “But you do have one...” :rolleyes:
    No way a group of maroons of that caliber could script the way the astronauts seemingly floated and the kicking up of dust that didn't otherwise get disturbed by air turbulence, etc.
    It was otherworldly. :flag:

5. Resident Plarp

6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It sounds to me like this is a classic example of how stories change to be more entertaining when shared. I have the entire video set of Get Smart including a lot of background interviews with cast producers. I think it was Buck Henry (one of the producers) who told a slightly more realistic version of that story. Evidently sometimes when their writers would invent a spy gizmo for the show they would accidentally mimic something that strongly resembled some secret espionage project. After this happened a few times they got hassled briefly by some agency to make sure someone wasn't leaking this stuff.

fastfreddie likes this.
  7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Side note, I'm attending a documentary premiere tonight for a film produced by a really good friend of mine.

It will also premiere simultaneously on Amazon Prime.

Called "50/50 Lunar Legends," if you want to check it out.

8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I just watched something about that. And yes it did. The famous footprint is actually the "last" footprint. They also blew over the American Flag.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

How do you blow something over in a vacuum

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

By throwing stuff at it.

11. Resident Plarp

Newton’s Third Law. The same reason rockets can be propelled in a vacuum.

gixxernaut and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  12. gixxernaut

What Plarp said. In order for a craft to propel itself away from the surface of the moon it has to eject matter towards the lunar surface. If you were on the moon and you threw a bowling ball at the flagpole you'd likely knock it over. The LEM had to thrust matter with the equivalent power of hundreds of thrown bowling balls to have a prayer of getting off that surface.

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yep I agree. Just figured the blast radius if you will would be very small and dissipate rather quickly. Sounds like of all the Apollo flags that one was placed closest to the vehicle

14. gixxernaut

The moon actually has an atmosphere. It's just a lot thinner than the one in the average car scene from a Cheech and Chong movie.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  15. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I just want to acknowledge the brilliant reference to The Stand in the subject line.

auminer and TSAVO5150 like this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I thought this was about Keith Moon

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

mayhap so

Ski

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

One of the later Apollo's pointed the camera at the LEM and video'd the blast off from the moon. You could see the flag whipping around in the ejecta. By the way...bowling balls? KE=1/2 m v2. low mass but high velocity. In addition, the direction is controlled by the nozzle so that most all the KE is in the opposing direction.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

@Metalhead just had an aneurism...