1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 GSXR600 Bottom End Horsepower Limit

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kyle Brosius, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the horsepower limit for the stock bottom end on a gsxr600. I’m currently making 126 to the tire on pump gas and want to switch to race gas this winter but am unsure if the bottom end will take it or if I need to put rods and pistons in it to handle the extra power. I tried googling but I was not able to find much info on the bottom end durability.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That's what my 750 made with a slip-on. Same year.

3. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

Hello Kyle,
    Please understand that the Dyno is a measuring Device, the #'s dont actually mean all that much with out some comparison. Can you provide a list of "Performance" mods you have?

4. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

Yeah, if this GSXR just has 0 engine work im guessing a stock 06 gsxr 600 makes around 121hp on this dyno....

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

HP not as important as torks...what kind is it making @ what rpm???

6. Kyle Brosius

I don’t think you guys are following my question. I’m not asking if you think my bike makes the horsepower I claim or what a dyno is. I’m asking how much horsepower can a stock bottom end typically handle. The bike has a TON of head work ( ported, polished flowed on a bench), custom ground cams to match the headwork, thinner head gasket, velocity stacks, full exhaust and on and on. I would like to move to MR12 and want to know if the bottom end will handle it or if I need to throw pistons and rods in it before I move to MR12.

Wheeliest likes this.
  7. Kyle Brosius

8. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I don’t the exact limit but being as people build 2mm superbike 600’s with stock rods I’m sure you’ll be fine adding some rocket fuel.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

You'll be fine, this ain't a car.

Little MR12 certinally isn't going to take it over the edge.

The valve keepers tho...

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. Kyle Brosius

Thanks guys that’s the info I was looking for. The last thing I want to do is break a rod at 100+. Most of my hardcore engine experience is with cars and when you do heads cam intake and supporting mods before you add more power you usually need rods and pistons.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Do you still have the stock ignition rotor?
    Cause lightening the weight on the crank will aide in rpms climbing faster.
    50 ft lbs of torks is pretty good for a 600...

12. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

itll take a lot more. lol

13. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

MR12 is low octane.. I ran 91 (91 is gas station readily avail high octane in the states) on my built 06 gsxr1000 which measured out to 14.5:1 compression after all was said and done.. you will probably be safe running it just dont lug the engine.