1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio VMD thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Jul 8, 2019.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

The ridge (Washington) came online in 2012 I think.

2. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

What about that crazy track carved into the mountain in MA? That’s only a few years old...

Oh and NCM in Bowling Green... love that place, even though it’s not quite race safe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Is that Palmer?

maslov likes this.
  4. 2MM

2MM Well-Known Member

I agree the paddock has been a little to open the past couple years; very distracting trying to move ppl to get out of a garage for a race. The amount of races/laps racers got this weekend vs the cost will certainly carry weight for ppl coming back in the future.

5. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Yes! That’s it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

If it's handled the same way as the last time I went, the AMA were very quick to provide a full refund for the races cancelled once I applied for it.

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Whiskey Hill at Palmer has one track day org running motorcycles there.

Canaan Motor Club in Canaan, NH used to be twin ovals, one dirt and one asphalt. A professor from Dartmouth College bought it and turned it into a road course in 2016. The USCRA has two vintage events there and the Penguin School runs low key events there to encourage riders to start racing. Riders say it's a fun course with gobs of traction in the rain. It's sparse on creature comforts in the paddock: No electricity, no PA, no trash cans, outdoor showers or go to the creek beyond the back straight with soap. Once you're used to it, the pastoral settings are good for the nerves. (Photos taken last Saturday.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And we have heard that since the 70’s... I guess that is why it is now Michelin Raceway and Millions are being put in it.. Road Atlanta is going nowhere...

418 likes this.
  9. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Damn... I like that!

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

11. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

12. rwdfun

rwdfun

What was the application process or will WERA provide an entry list and refunds will come?

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Pretty sure Sean is working on that, he indicated he’d have answers within a few days.

14. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I had a blast hanging out with my friends this past weekend, it's always a great time. That being said, i'm 99% sure I wont be back until they re-pave the track. I love racing AND being in the paddock but Mid-O needs to fix the track...

JBarx likes this.
  15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

They were over capacity. The word is that Mid-O keeps the attendance numbers a secret from the AMA, which causes staffing and planning issues when you have so many people that you are turning them away at the gate cause you didn't know the event was oversold. Don't quite understand how that works, but that's what an AMA guy mentioned as part of the issue this year.

I got a ride in the van at a track day that rained in the morning. Like driving on ice, even with 4 wheels. Mark has clearly done that run enough times to make the point that the track needs a resurfacing.

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

From what I remember the AMA contacted all competitors or it was posted on their website offering a full refund or credit for future events.

17. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I’ve never ridden the track but am curious about the surface. Does Mid Ohio have more years than most US tracks since a re pave? What is the reason for such low grip? Is it the makeup of the original pavement or reworked sections over the years? There seems to be quite a few tracks with “old” pavement that don’t have this issue.

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

The actual surface isn’t too bad with the exception of a few rough patches. The real problem lies with some sealer that they put down at some point to fill cracks. Instead of being grippy like the rest of the track just the tiniest bit of moisture, even morning dew, cause it to be like ice. You lose traction with no warning whatsoever. It’s also totally random on the track unless you are intimately familiar with the layout.

19. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I went to a track day at mid Ohio a few weeks ago for practice for VMD. I got sick and couldn't ride VMD. There were showers on that track day but the track was mostly dry with some small "streams". If you went through a wet spot you would slide with the slightest lean angle. The instructors, including mark, were saying how very slick it is. One instructor showed me a very good "wet line" and he told me the problem was all the car tire sliding/depositing. I am going back to the track with or without a repave under totally dry conditions to check again. I only live 2 1/2 hrs from it.

Rising Sun likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

It's no secret that Road A was almost sold to become a sub division 10 or so years ago. 20 years ago it was out in the middle of nowhere, but housing keeps moving out that way so it may just be a matter of time...