1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio VMD thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

How many people were estimated to have been there in total?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

tree fiddy

Mot Okstef likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Closest I can come is even with the weather - buhzillions.

Rising Sun likes this.
  4. ar556

ar556 Active Member

What happens with regional/national points, entry fees, etc. for the races that we didn't get to run?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Working on all that. Probably be a couple days before I have answers. Have to get Emily set for Roebling first then back to VMD...

6. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I think we all recognize Sean and Evelyne were put into a pretty impossible position. You guys did a great job managing that fiasco.

I've been a Mid-Ohio apologist for a long time but I'm done now. The place is shitting on its own legacy and it made me sad for a long time but I'm past sad and venturing into angry. A handful of people said point-blank they'll never come back, new surface or no.

My boss came up from Cincy for Saturday's races.

Full disclosure -- he owns the company and we're a sports architecture firm. So I have a direct interest in Mid-O upgrading their facilities if that were part of the scope with a resurfacing job.

While there isn't much "architecting" to do on jobs like that, I'd still love to do some master planning and help clean some things up. There's plenty to address if the money was there. But -- surface first.

That aside, he cut right to the point astonishingly fast. He said: "If I am understanding what I am seeing correctly, that ribbon of asphalt is why the rest of the stuff is here, right? So why is it the biggest liability of the facility? Why do they let that happen?"

I don't know, Mike. I don't know.

I didn't quite have the issues with the hijinx as Chris might have, but there were some times random people would walk into our garage like they knew us, just standing over our bikes and touching stuff. It was a little weird. All in all, a serviceable track would cure 95% of any problems people had with the joint. This is getting too big to keep kicking down the block.

PS. If anyone knows decision-makers at Green-Savoree and could serve as a contact bridge (privately) that would be outstanding. I'm willing to bet my firm will do some work at a steep discount to get this place thinking about the big picture.

rk97, 5axis, stk0308 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Serious question- do the car guys have as much of a problem with the surface? If not, nothing's gonna happen.

Rising Sun likes this.
  8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Mark Junge was driving a van around the track at the trackday the Monday before VMD with some of the coaches in it to show them the "wet line" as it had rained. The coaches I spoke to said the van was sliding on the sealer too.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Schuster went all the way up there?

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Saw it with my own eyes! Looked like he really enjoyed it!

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Watch NASCAR drive around there from a year or two ago - they were spinning out on the straights.

5axis, TLR67 and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

You ever seen the Nationwide race video? :crackup::crackup::crackup:

EDIT - Eddie beat me to it!

Rising Sun and ekraft84 like this.
  13. Tristan

Nope, I don't watch any type of car racing. Wouldn't spinouts in NASCAR add value to their show???

14. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Only when spun by someone else or if >15 laps since last caution.

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I went to the nascar race there last year because my wife had tickets from a vendor. It was comical and a crash fest and it wasn’t even wet.

16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I truly wonder if a new race course (at the scale of a Mid-O) will ever be built in the US in the future.

I'm sure most folks here know that Road Atlanta is owned by NASCAR. And I'm confident they bought it as it will be a prime location for a future subdivision.

17. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

True story!

He's still talking about it today.

You might not be wrong, on all accounts.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think Miller was around 2006 and COTA 2012, I don't believe either are profitable, so it will probably be quite awhile.

19. Tristan

All it'll take is one of the 600+ billionaires in the US to decide to build a track... like Mr Barber did- cost/profit being a non-factor.

5axis likes this.
  20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

NCM, New York safety track (or whatever that is called), Pitt Race, the almost was Bluegrass motorsports park. There have been plenty in the last decade but they seem to ignore the needs of motorcycles for the most part.

Gorilla George likes this.