1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these just snake oil?

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Jul 8, 2019.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Air Tabs

There is a debate about them on a RV page.

I have no clue.

If they actually work, I might get them.

Call me skeptical though.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I have them stuck to my top and sides of the trailing edge of my 6x10 trailer. I couldn't tell you if has a perceivable improvement in gas mileage. I used to tow my trailer with a V6 Grand Cherokee and now I tow it with a semi V8 Durango, so that certainly didn't improve it, haha :D

3. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Just going off of their "Simulation" video, I'd say snake oil. It's faked. That's not how bluff body flow works, and vortex generators aren't going to solve it that well.

4. CRA_Fizzer

Don't really care about mileage. More about wind stability. Especially when a Semi passes you.

Metalhead likes this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If your truck is properly set up for the trailer you are pulling it should not sway and you shouldn’t need those.. for fuel mileage I say Snake Oil... do you really think those are going to help the sway from a semi? Hell no.... Semi’s sway from Semi’s.. just use your mirrors and prepare...

6. CRA_Fizzer

Oh I do. When they come they push you first (bow wave), then suck you in (venturi). Good times. :)

ducnut likes this.
  7. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:D

Must resist...must resist.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Greater improvement in mileage by just slowing down.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

heretic.

11. Sabre699

I just heard "Tricky Dick" in my head. :confused:

12. CRA_Fizzer

But but... :)

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That's what I'm saying. I go faster GETTING TO THE TRACK, than I actually race. Lolol

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Well, I work for a large food distributor who’ve tried all the gizmos (tabs, skirts, trailer tails, etc). The fleet mgr says the improvements are negligible. He can track the fuel mileage of a trailer fully outfitted against a trailer with nothing, regardless of what tractor it’s hooked to, and says it’s so minuscule as to not be worth messing with any of it, especially when maintenance of the stuff is factored in. But, upper mgmt forces the outfitting of devices, so they can appear to be a “green fleet” and allows us into Commiefornia.

As I’ve posted before, in a Class 8/53’ van configuration, each mph is worth ~1/10mpg. Our fleet mgr tracks all tractors, drivers, driver habits, etc and can back the data. I’ve seen it in my own fuel mileage, while chasing the bonuses, as well.

JBall likes this.
  15. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

There always has to be someone getting all crazy with actual data and shit...

ducnut likes this.
  16. Sabre699

Flooding us with actual facts is not how it's done around here.

ducnut likes this.
  17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Its like putting a big wing, front splitter and rear diffuser on a Kia Rio, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Spark, Honda Fit. Useless other than wasting money. Got a couple of those ricers rolling around here with similar crap glued to their roofs, trunk lids, rear fenders and c-pillars.

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I remember reading an article in a car magazine where they took a ricer decked out with that crap. With every piece they took off, the car's 1/4 mile time improved. Bone stock config ran the quickest time.

ducnut likes this.
  19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im surprised they didnt just put dimples on the trailers