Leftist Olympics 2020

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blkduc, Jan 19, 2019.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How is it morally right to expect someone to spend
    their time laboring to help you without making a profit?

And I already explained the difference between hiring police
    or firemen and just taking someone's money for whatever
    you decide to do with it to benefit whoever you decide needs it.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Done before you menstruated all over the thread... :Poke:

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There’s nothing wrong with my argument. I never said healthcare was a fucking right you ignorant sonofabitch. LIVING is a right, and at a certain point, your life will likely be in the hands of others. At that point, the value of your life shouldn’t be determined by whether or not a company can profit on your treatment.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

And the common denominator continues. It’s always the same. :crackup:

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

So young, so angry, Damn that Rap music! - Pepito

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why in the fuck do we automatically assume doctors and pharma companies get this pass? They aren’t even subject to market forces.

Do cops “make a profit”? When you take the money out of the discussion, care becomes about what’s best FOR THE PATIENT, not what’s most profitable for the company. Healthcare will never be fixed as long as it’s about money. When each patient is potential profit, there is no incentive to actually fix them, but every incentive to drag out their illness as long as possible and pump them full of every expensive drug and procedure possible. When each patient is pure expense, the only goal is to get them well as quickly and efficiently as possible, even better if we can help keep them from getting sick in the first place.

7. pickled egg

The value of my life isn’t determined by whether or not a company can profit on my treatment. The value of my life is determined by the costs necessary to save and/or extend it and if the resources are available and are put to best use by expending them on me.

If in 20 years I catch a raging case of dick cancer, I’ll lop the fucker off myself.

8. In Your Corner

And once you remove profit from the equation, what
    exactly will be the driving force to create anything
    regarding healthcare?
    Would the company you work for exist if it couldn't
    make a profit?

9. pickled egg

Health care isn’t broken. Health insurance is broken. Third party payer is broken. I didn’t have any issues getting the health care I required (due to the ridiculous prohibition on sales of antibiotics without paying a sawbones to rubber stamp the need at significantly greater expense than necessary) on our great nation’s birthday no less. $129 for 18 minutes of professional’s time to confirm what I already knew and another $23 for a scrip.

If you have a magic bullet to prevent me from contracting diseases brought home by the delightful duo of disease, best get that patented and make the bank to start your philanthropic health care for all, damn the expenses charity

10. pickled egg

Silly Mike! In Utopia, the government will put you in the job you’re needed in, determine your wage and wipe your nose and your ass with the same tissue. So those indentured doctors will have work, you know...

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Same thing as the military. The company would produce the effective tool and the government would buy it to fix people and ultimately reduce costs (sick people). Reducing costs is as much or more effective at driving innovation as profit.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Believe it or not, some people are actually driven to help others. Physicians aren’t really the problem here. It’s the system they’re forced to work in.

13. pickled egg

No.

14. In Your Corner

Like in VA hospitals?

Are you at all familiar with how government agencies operate?

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just do not understand the logic behind thinking that a system that has been broken by government meddling when they tried to make it "fair" is going to get better by getting more government involvement to make it "more fair".

16. pickled egg

Willful ignorance.

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So obviously everyone else is a lazy moron and we should just let you rule us :crackup: Every one of your answers ignores the effect a free market has on improving a society and the negative effect a collective based centrally planned has.

You are likely a good guy but people like you scare me as you think our system isn't working while it is working fine. It can be enhanced but the common urge to throw it out seems ill informed. To toss it out and replace it with a system that has failed time after time is just suicidal.

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Again you fail to realize that without the ability to profit many of the people that are there trying to save your life for <gasp> a profit would not be there at all. The difference between expensive medical care and none is one guarantees you are screwed.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The free market is great for most everything, except for absolute necessities such as military, police, fire, and emergency medicine. The free market would certainly “fix” healthcare, but it would do so by killing off all of the sick and injured people who can’t afford it!

Our healthcare system is NOT “just fine”. We spend a larger and larger portion of our GDP on it each year, and get less and less in return.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You’re wrong. The “people” would still be there because they’re there because they want to help people (it’s like you’re assuming doctors and nurses would be forced to work as slaves). The difference would be that they are able to practice with the patient’s best interest in mind, not with the bottom line of the hospital.