1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fzr600 ignition troubles

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Rhaderholdt, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

So long story short, I'm putting a 3HE motor in an fzr400 frame and have everything figured out for the most part. I've been reconnecting the stock wirring so I can just get it to run but noticed that it's not sparking. Checked coils and pickup coil so I have assumed it's the ignition box. Is there anyway to check the box to see if it's bad or am I forgetting something. Also the ignition switch is being bypassed as well as the clutch and kickstand switch. It will be a race bike.

Has:
    gsxr750 front end
    Cbr600 rear wheel
    Brembo rear brake off of ktm
    Fzr600 swingarm and shock

M Aderholdt likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The on/off handlebar switches get corroded inside and will cause FZRs to have no spark.

3. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Just use all 600 shit, it's cheap.(harness,ecu etc.) fuel pump relays are diff and can ground out the ignition.
    also a 600 lump wont like 14K long.

4. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

I have been using the stock wirring harness and ECU off the 600. Also have checked the switch and it is working fine.

5. britx303

What exactly did you do to the kick stand switch? Im trying to remember,but I had a no spark issue with another 400/600 years ago,and I "think" thats where my issue was. I ended up plugging it back in and it fired......so i think I left it on,just zip-tied up out of the way. Its been a few years,and just as many FZRs so they're all kinda globbing together.

6. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

I just used a jumper wire to jump across the switch. I will hook it up and try to see if it works.

7. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

Just plugged the kickstand switch back in and still nothing. Do one of yall have a running fzr that I can send my ignition box to for you to test?

8. britx303

I do........but next question 1st: How old is your battery? Ive had batteries that put out enough juice to crank,but not enough to get spark.I Put in a new one and boom......spark! If you want me test it on mine thats fine, and if it turns out dead,i "might" have a good spare box for you if you need it.

9. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

I have tested it on a regular motorcycle battery and a brand new car battery for just a few seconds. Both of which were 100% charged. I would gladly send it to you and see if you can test it for me. If you might have a good spare box, how much would you want for it?

10. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

does the pump prime for a sec when u cycle the rh kill switch?

11. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

No it does not....

12. britx303

Is the key still on there......or did you do a key elimination?

13. britx303

No worries on the ECU if I have one........just shipping.Still haven't gotten to the FZR garage to go through all my spares to verify a good one for you yet though.

14. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

Oh thankyou. I really appreciate that. And yes I had to bypass the ignition switch with a jumper wire.

15. britx303

Made any progress?

16. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

Sadly I have not. It just will not fire. I've tripple checked everything and I'm almost positive that it's the ignition box.

17. britx303

Okay PM me your address and I will send out a good box.

18. macbook

macbook Well-Known Member

Im in the process of doing 600 in a 400 as well and just had a similar issue. Some how I managed to mix up the plugs for the handle bar switches and the main harness. Once I figured that out it sparked and all good.

19. Rhaderholdt

Rhaderholdt Member

I'm still kinda new to this, how do you pm?

20. britx303

You did it correctly.I will get back to you tonight after work.:beer: