1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuono V4 or Hyper

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I know, liquid cooled 4V V4 versus air cooled 2V twin. I get the performance differences.

Curious about the overall ownership experience; maintenance, parts availability, service intervals, etc etc etc.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The answer is always Hyper :D

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

If maintenance/reliability is a top concern....neither :) I love my Hyper, but she's left me stranded a few times. Plenty of aftermarket available for it, and OEM parts are easy to come by as well. Changing belts is slightly PITA yourself, but doable.

That all said, I still own it and plan on keeping it, it's ridiculous fun. 08 Hypermotard 1100s

4. Scotty87

I've owned several air cooled 2v Ducatis. Did you find yours to be less reliable than what you'd typically expect?

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

All three of my hyper 1100s have been great… Except for the one I blew up with 4600 miles on the clock.

6. Scotty87

Lol.

Part of the deal when owning the eye-talian shit I spose.

motion likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Both! You can ride one while the other is displaying its Italian character in the shop :D That Aprilia engine... Gives me chills.

No Duke on your wishlist?

8. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Tuono is one of the best motorcycles I've ever ridden. That exhaust sound and stupid power is just awesome. That said, I'd go Hyper every time, assuming it's street only. It is hard to beat how much fun the hyper is on the street. You don't have to go tractor dodging speeds to have fun which is why I love it.

BigBird likes this.
  9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Well, being the Apilia-lista that i am now, Tuono for sure. The newer the better. '17 Tuono 1100 RR has auto blip, cruise control, TFT dash. I have a '16 RR that has the dealer installed Aprilia Race ECU/Arrow slipon and i put the Factory Ohlins forks, TTX, and OZ forged wheels on and it is the most gawd damned funnest meanest sounding smoothest shifting comfortable of a bike in the whole wide world. Or something like that.

Not sure what your price range is, but leftover '18' and like new '17's are going for peanuts. Good thing about being an Aprilia buyer, they don't hold their value worth a shit.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My Rs250s are holding their value very well thank you very much :)

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What kinda jerk rings up all that bling

And doesn't provide pics of the finished product!

BigBird likes this.
  12. gapman789

I opted for the RR vs the Factory because i hated the graphics/paint of the '16 Factory. And the TV4F only came with the Ohlins forks and sub-par Ohlins shock....it didn't come with the Forged wheels like the RSV4 Factory does.

Soooo, for a mere $2750, i added the forged rims, the Factory Ohlins forks, TTX rear, and Ohlins damper and turned my RR into a Factory, and then some.

Also, there were only 50 of the 'Donington' blue models imported to the U.S.

tuono blue.JPG

Ra.Ge. Raptor, BigBird, Chris and 4 others like this.
  13. gapman789

Word. My buddy just got an '09 RS125, still in the crate, for $3000 IIRC. :eek:

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Damn that is cheap. I got one of those a few years ago for about $4000.

15. Scotty87

Nah.

I owned a 625smc previously, and while it was good fun the KTM dealer network and other things gave me heartburn I don’t want to deal with any more

Steeltoe likes this.
  16. Scotty87

Eh, don’t know who that was supposed to be a reply to. I still lean hard towards the Hyper, but that V4 sound..

For proper reference - I’m a TL-S freak, so...

17. gapman789

I often find myself looking for a '97 TLS....I had one. Broke it in half along with my leg at the Gap in '98. Bought a frame from Suzuki and put it on the track.

I just can't see the Hyper being comparable to the Tuono in any way shape or form.

18. Scotty87

How do you mean though?

Like not comparable in what way?

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They’re very different. The Hyper 1100 feels like riding a 125 dirtbike on the street with 100 hp.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Scotty87

God damn. This is the shit that keeps me in that camp