1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough quickshift or adjust kill times?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cbrkp, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

hey all,

Quick question... whilst on track I noticed that the quickshifts from two through six is pretty rough. Its not buttery smooth and violent. Shifts are direct and positive.

Bike has a bazzaz full unit with strain gauge sensor. Was thinking either I’d need to adjust the kill times or sensitivity box...

Any thoughts much appreciated.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well....what are your kill times set to at the moment?

Normally as you go up in gears you shorten the kill times a bit, as an example start at around 65-70ms from 1st to 2nd, work down to about 45-50ms 5th to 6th.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

start by adjusting/lubing your shift linkage
    then play with the kill times

4. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Adjust your linkage to have the joints as close to 90deg as possible. Try moving the shifter down slightly (for standard shift; UP for GP shift).

5. MOTO-D

MOTO-D Trackday Junkie

As stated above, check your sensor to make sure it's tight, then adjust the settings from there. We prefer the IRC quickshifter for ultra-smooth shifts www.motodracing.com

jd41 likes this.
  6. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Just checked the kill times and they’re 80,70,60,50,40

I just readjusted them starting at 65,60,55,50,45 and will test when I’m back on track

Will update thread on how I make out.

Shift linkage is at correct position of 90 degrees and no need for lube at they’re squeaky clean new with no binding.

I do have the strain gauge sensor in addition to kill times so I think I’ll have to play with both.

Thanks all.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

those kill times should have worked just fine. I only could use sensors that were actual mechanical devices. Like dyno jet or trans logic. Had some sort of sensor for quick shifter on a team challenge ducati that activated by motion or some method that for me, only worked about half the time. I said eventually me or the shifter had to leave... we won lots of races on that bike later :)

8. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

I had a mechanical sensor before and only rode the bike once for a quick minute. If it doesn’t pan out next time I’ll retry the mechanical sensor as well.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I bet the sensitivity is off. those kill times should have been close enough.

u didnt describe the roughness very much. heres my rules of thumb. if the jerk comes after the shift, the kill times are too long. if the jerk is before the shift, the sensitivity is too high. if it doesnt shift at all, the sensitivity is too low or the kill times are too short.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  10. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

The “jerk” I’ve experienced comes after the shift. Less than 10 days and I’ll be able to test out the shorter settings. I’ll update post once back from track. Thanks!

I read somewhere that the factory aprc qs kill times are really short. I can use aprc as well but am using bazzaz

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

one thing to keep in mind, you have to actually shift fast too.. not a long, lazy upshift. Doing so, activates kill time, but you are actually moving through the shift late... not ideal.

12. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Quick update if its useful for anyone. On this bike I found the bazzaz system and not even the sensors to be the issue. I adjusted all the kill times from 80-40 and it still behaved the same. On a majority of shifts the bike would lurch forward during the shift not being smooth as one would expect.

I switched to the bikes factory electronics (APRC) QS system with mechanical or strain gauge and its miles better.

MELK-MAN likes this.