1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackday rider, looking to start racing

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Christopher Holder, May 12, 2019.

1. Hello,

I'm looking to get in to the race world. The only issue I am seeing is the lack of people signing up in the LWT SS/SB novice classes Is it just me or does it seem like a waste to pay for all of the fees, race school, etc. Just to get a "participation" trophy.

I'm on an FZ-07 but it seems like all of the classes I would enter arent getting many entries.

Opinions, suggestions are welcome on how to approach this
    I would want my race school and provisional race to be at cycle jam in July since it's in my backyard basically.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    r6boater likes this.
  2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Do it, you’ll won’t regret it for a second. Lots of reasons for varying race entries depending on where the track is, the predicted weather, desire to race that particular class etc. You’ll have more fun than you ever imagined possible, and meet some of the nicest people in the process.

MkImroth likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Cycle Jam is end of May/1st of June.

Def come out and play!

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Currently a lot of the small bike riders have gone "pro" so yeah those classes are light. Things will pick up again as they normally do however they won't if people keep looking at them as being too empty and not running them :D

The.Johnner likes this.
  5. rwdfun

rwdfun

upload_2019-5-13_9-29-2.jpeg

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No hate, just reality. I hope it all works out long term for the series as the pro stuff being stronger makes the sport as a whole stronger which of course makes us stronger. In the meantime though we lose racers and income that helps us pay the bills and survive and the sport loses them as well as they burn out/cost out quicker doing the pro events. Especially the back half or more of the field.

7. rwdfun

rwdfun

I'm just glad those cherry pickin' pros have a place to go for twins now :D

8. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I've wondered about that myself... I guess we can hope that the Twins gains a reputation as the "accessible" pro racing, and that will draw people back to the LWT WERA classes to tune up. For now it seems like people are tripping over themselves to go straight to the "big show" because it's new and it's there. I don't think that's sustainable long-term like you've said, so the question is how it all levels out.

You know when a slow ass like me can grab some 1 plates in a class, it's not hotly contested. :crackup:

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

do it! just the last 5 seconds before the flag drops (start) are worth it!!!

if you don't insist on racing (and sooner or later crashing) your yamaha, look for a "clapped out" SV. they can be found for 2-4 grand, offer the same amount of fun and lessons, plus spares are cheap and most likely available in the paddock (competitors help each other out!)...

SpeedyE and Shenanigans like this.
  10. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

If it's a non-MA weekend I'd be more than happy to come wrench for you, if you'd like me to. I've been doing it a couple years both in WERA and the "pro" ranks;)... I'm still new to the FZ07R platform but I might be able to muddle my way though it:rolleyes:. Depending on when/what track, if even bring my toy hauler down for your little one and the missus to hang out in. -Kurt Beauchamp

mpusch likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Just wait, I keep thinking about talking Lee Acree into running it :D

12. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Bring out that Yamaha and get you some of the Slozuki...:Poke::D Since you've never raced...get out there and get some actual races under your belt and start gaining some experience, racing is very different than doing trackdays. Does not matter what you are on or what classes you are in...get some experience. Point is to learn, improve and get faster no matter what you are on. Come on down to Reobling this weekend to hang out and check things out. Come find me.:beer: If not, we'll see you at Rd ATL. We'll keep an eye out for ya in your orange bib.:eek::D

13. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Don't overthink it. Just do it.

You might find it more fun than track days. You might not.

Either way, it'll be a different way to enjoy the track, and that's all that matters.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  14. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Skip SS and run SB and F2 and maybe heavy twins for a third race.

15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Did you make it to Rd ATL?

JBall likes this.
  16. I did not, with a baby girl coming. I am prioritizing funds around. In Hope's that I can get out at least once before the season is over.

17. TT_cal

TT_cal Member

Hi Mongo,

I called WERA office last week and I was informed that I can show on the race weekend and sign up for wera membership and race school as well. I am planning to start this weekend at Willow springs RaceWay.

I have already bought my AMA membership and prepared the bike for tech .

Just wanted to verify if I can register in spot for membership or should I fax the WERA membership form.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

18. joec

joec brace yourself

Normally you can do pretty much everything at the track.

TT_cal likes this.
  19. TT_cal

TT_cal Member

Thank you. Looking forward to the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

20. joec

joec brace yourself

At registration just be sure to ask if you have the correct forms. People will help you out and there are usually wera people there to help. You'll have a lot to do your first morning and it will seem chaotic and unmakabke. Definitely bring a pit bitch. You'll need someone to run and get your wallet, or to go buy fuel and things like that. But overall, people are generally great.. Just remember that people are trying to make practice, tech, and have thier own stuff to deal with early on. So having someone to grab your stands, warmers, and to bring some cold water to the hot pit of there's a red flag just makes the day a ton easier.

Also let people know it's your first day racing and to let you know if you're missing something. It's easier for people to point things out before hand, than it is to help you at the last second.

Have fun.