1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I just realized I forget what the site is called...

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:D

He may have gotten it elsewhere but he still didn't credit the Bikesportnews story at all. Context is important.

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I used to bounce at this bar in Santa Monica, a decade ago or so. They were charging $28 for a 2 ingredient mixed drink. People would also pay us hundreds to get their group in the back. Some motherfuckers have way more money than they know what to do with. Either that or they’re spending all their money at the discotheque on Saturday night and sharing a studio with a roommate.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    5axis likes this.
  4. SGVRider

I don’t remember the exact deal with that. Was it family / personal money he put in and he ran the whole shebang? Nevertheless, that guy had the right stuff on paper. Money and huge experience in motor sports, he still couldn’t make it work.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jim France bought it. Gave it to Roger to run. Backed Roger on his decisions, no clue why, but he had nothing truly to do with making it work or not. Same thing with Grand Am which became a success once it actually went to NASCAR, same thing with Flattrack now it has new people running it.

6. SGVRider

Dunno what his exact business background is, he doesn’t call me anymore so I can’t ask. As for the SV class, so what? Sometimes you don’t know what will work until you try it. I do know the DMG crew were perfect on paper with the right pedigree and that ended up as a shit show.

Motorcycle road racing is so obviously not a product Americans want. Somehow Motoamerica has made a go of it and it’s still around. Maybe it won’t be in a few years and we’ll have zero pro road racing here.

I think it’s also quite possible, maybe even likely that a standalone pro road racing series that runs throughout America is completely unsustainable no matter who runs it. A sustainable model might look like Canadian Superbike, that only runs at 5 tracks that are geographically close in their most densely populated provinces.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all were looking at the totally wrong papers if you thought DMG was good on paper...

I think MotoAmerica as a national entity is very sustainable. They just have to scale back on some stuff and push on other stuff and figure out what a realistic goal is for them for tv/online streaming/butts in seats/riders turnout/etc... They're still feeling their way and doing good with it overall. Hopefully the money won't run out before things settle into a viable setup across the board for them.

Dragginass and turner38 like this.
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Has anyone mentioned one of the most obvious differences between MotoAmerica and DMG? Wayne obviously has a love and passion for the sport and for sure the series. Whereas DMG, well, who knows what the fuck they had...

Dragginass likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All the principals in MotoAmerica are doing it because they love the sport. Not one got into thinking they'd make money much less get rich.

jksoft likes this.
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's the thing, they've only been at it a few years. Have been learning and improving every year in my opinion. There's guys ragging on them like they've been running the series into the shitter for 10 years. :rolleyes:
    I think things are on the upswing.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Appropriate timing having Wayne on Jay Leno's Garage this week.

13. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If that true it’s been doomed from day 1.
    That’s an actual proven recipe for failure.
    Every hobby store that ever went out of business is that business plan. Lol

Ride safe,
    AAron

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I asked because the quote was he could make 10X more in another business as if he had turned around businesses in other segments before.

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can love what you do and make it viable :D

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Wayne has relationships. He doesn’t necessarily need a high level of business acumen. He can surround himself with other peeps who do. His expertise is in racing, racing relations and the motorcycle industry etc. People in the industry will pick up the phone when he calls and give him an audience.
    He doesn’t need to be a Warren Buffett. He does need to have great relationships.

Scotty87 and Gorilla George like this.
  17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Yea I’m aware that’s how they got Honda.
    Thanks for making my point. Lol

Ride safe,
    AAron

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hondas most recent exit had zero to do with your perception that Wayne doesn’t have enough business experience. Zero.

Dragginass and jd41 like this.
  19. Henrybgood2

Henrybgood2 Well-Known Member

Here is a bio of one of Rainey's partners in MotoAmerica off one of his other companies websites.

Richard Varner - CEO

Mr. Richard Varner brings over 31 years of petroleum industry experience to the Navitas Companies. He has held positions in a number of downstream and midstream operations as well as being involved directly in oil and gas producing entities.

Varner, a native of Wichita, Kansas, attended the University of Nebraska on a full athletic grant-in-aid, receiving a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration in 1976. He received his MBA from the University of Kansas in 1978.

Upon graduation Varner worked on the crude petroleum trading desks for the Coastal Corporation in the U.S. and Europe. In addition he served as an equity partner and trader at Questor Petroleum, and held trading positions at Avant Petroleum, a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitsui & Company, USA.

In 1982 Varner returned to the Coastal Corporation to head domestic crude oil operations, and helped form and run its commodity trading operations, during this period and served on NYMEX crude oil contract advisory committee.

Varner transferred to the U.S. West Coast as head of Coastal’s West Coast refining and marketing subsidiary, Pacific Refining Company. During this assignment as Pacific’s CEO, The Coastal Corporation and The China National Chemical Import and Export Company, (SINOCHEM) formed a joint venture to own and operate the Pacific Refining Company. Varner chaired this organization until leaving in 1991 to form and own Newport Petroleum, Inc.

Newport Petroleum was primarily engaged in the marine transportation, and terminalling of petroleum products along the West Coast of the United States, Canada, Mexico and Hawaii. Newport Petroleum eventually grew its operations to include 9 ocean-going tug and barge units, with primary operators in Alaska, California, and Washington. Cabrillo Shipping, an affiliated company, was the first container-on-barge operation between the ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach and Mexico.

Since the sale of Newport Petroleum in 2003, he has actively been involved in the acquisition of LDC and pipeline assets in the natural gas industry through Navitas Utilities, LLC.

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Not what I said but please explain your in-depth knowledge.

Ride safe,
    AAron