1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler Vs. Enclosed Trailer with pop out

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Dr.Duct_Mossbur, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Dr.Duct_Mossbur Well-Known Member

Looking to start racing in a month and plan to get a dedicated setup over the winter time.

I've been looking into doing a Toy Hauler Vs. a nicer enclosed trailer with a sleeper system in it (either spring for the pop out or do a stowaway bed). While the hauler offers a nicer experience, it is a lot more work when most tracks I go to have showers onsite. There is also the thought process of staying in hotels as well.

I know many on here have haulers, trailers and even tents. Really looking for someone that has done the enclosed trailer and/or the hauler and why you picked what you did.

I plan to do 4-5 races a year and a few track days in between. It will be just me; kids, dogs, and wife won't be using this.

TIA.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

A nicely setup trailer is 80% of what a toy hauler can offer at 1/3rd the hassle.

No kids, no wife? Enclosed trailer all day.

rk97 likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

With NO pop out.... Try stepping at night in those pop outs/tents with loud noises.. No thanks.. Insulated walls all around is much better... I wanted to make sure I had room for 3 bikes tire machine and a scooter. I can get all that in and lay the futon on to of the tails of the bikes and if no tire machine futon in front of bikes like this pic. AC is a mist here in the South.. the extra foot in width makes all the difference in the world. I have it set up also for stand up jet ski’s as well. I can slide one out the side door if needed. Rubber coin flooring, cabinets and a Benny compartment on side with 50 amp power and exterior outlet.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Wheel Bearing likes this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

C3BB9A69-69CF-4D34-B05C-DDCDD01E8E05.jpeg

I have a 8.5 X 18 Pace Journey.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Mmmmmm... Tiller....:bow:

Rob860 and ducnut like this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Cot, air mattress, futon, or for upscale a Happijac bed work just fine for one person. Pick the solution that you like best and best fits your trailer size / budget / tow vehicle. I am quite comfortable on my nice fold out cot with a pad on it in my 6x12. Yeah I have to unload the bike(s), but that doesn't bother me. Others prefer a futon, so they can use it as a couch during the day (not enough room in my trailer). Others like a high end air mattress. I find air mattresses can be cold on a cold night, but should be fine if you have heat in the trailer. If you have a decent height in your trailer, you can lower a Happijac enough to sleep on it with the bike(s) still underneath so you don't have to unload if you roll in late at night.

As others have stated, it is noisy enough in my trailer with people pulling in late, I wouldn't want to do a tent or fold out bed and make the problem worse. Example: the person sleeping in the tent at NCBike this weekend that yelled out from his tent: "Do you need to rev your bikes at 6:15AM?" It was actually 6:45AM and tech ended up being open at 6:50, so that was good for a laugh anyway.

Being 6'2" tall not having a bar on either end was a must in a cot design. Takes less than a minute to set up or tear down including putting it in the bag.
    https://www.amazon.com/EasyCot-Camp...words=easycot&qid=1561382234&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    With this on it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Inflating-Sl...ing+camp+pad&qid=1561382266&s=gateway&sr=8-18

For water I put a Rubbermaid 5 gallon water cooler on this mounted to my e-track near the side door. The Rubbermaid's screw on lid is more water tight than the Igloo press fit lid, so you can fill it pretty much all the way up and not have anything leak out. Add ice and then fill with the desired amount of water before you leave. Having some e-track on the wall at the right height is necessary. Anything around 3' to 5' up should be fine.
    https://www.amazon.com/CargoSmart-Water-Cooler-Holder-Track/dp/B072M2XJDS

JBall and TLR67 like this.
  8. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

This thing is awesome and kind of what I had in mind. I’d run the truck system on the wall so I could run a cot up and out of the way when it’s not being used.

I’m concerned if I go over 7’ that I’m going to have trouble seeing around it. Do you have trailer mirrors? Wide mirrors would look pretty stupid on a raptor, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLR67 likes this.
  9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes I do .. they are great but not needed...

10. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Do you think it would be overkill for one bike? Maybe a second here or there if someone needs a tow?

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Exterior...
    upload_2019-6-24_10-5-25.jpeg

Chaplain45 and Schwiz like this.
  12. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Alright, now you’re just showing off [emoji23][emoji23] that thing is beautiful.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If I could do it all over again I would have gotten a 24 footer for cars when that time comes.. but it is perfect for bikes and what I use it for. It is nice having the small space in front of the bikes for the futon when loaded. If it’s shitty weather when your driving or getting to the track I can still sleep in there and have a small area to live in without unloading..

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

No... not at all other than gas mileage etc if your budget conscious. There are those days I miss just showing up at the track with my bike in the back of the pick up. However it’s nice just unrolling the bikes and tool box out of the truck then done.

15. Wheel Bearing

Absolutely not. I've always considered a 7x16 to be the gold standard for an ideal trailer size. Never go smaller than that unless you absolutely have to because you have a matchbox car for a tow rig or whatever. But like he said, the extra 1.5 feet of width is very, very welcome when you're inside it in comparison to a 8.5x20 trailer or whatnot. A raptor would pull a 7x16 loaded to the roof all day long without trouble.

16. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Initial thoughts are a 7x14 that houses a 20x10 ez up and coin mat with my toolbox, tables, etc.

After everything is setup outside the trailer I want to be able to set the interior up as a hang out/work area.

17. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

The problem with the raptor is not the power, it’s the suspension. It’s soft and the ass end drops. I may go +2 Deavers in the rear but I’m trying to avoid that.

18. Wheel Bearing

Tongue weight on a 7x16, loaded, might be 4-500lbs? It's not much.

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Raptor? Oh hell your gonna need a F650 HummVee Russian Log truck only.. plenty of threads on trucks here..:crackup:

V8 and your fine... Hell I managed to pull mine for a year with a 4.8 Silverado.. Tranny didn’t like it up hills but it held up.. I have a 2500 Ram now gasser and it’s perfect.

20. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

I’m gen 2... 6 banger. More powa