1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Bingo.

2. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Yep. I know it's apples/oranges, but compare what Josh Hayes is doing vs Spies....

turbulence and jd41 like this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

With 3 AMA and a World SBK championship in his trophy case he's not an influencer he is a star. And why should he help MA, does he owe them something? And if you think putting more racers in the back gate is what's needed that's just a band-aid on the real issue.

This is what needs to happen. A healthy industry with North American m/c sales stable or in a slight increase, businesses that want a association with MA to improve their visibility and reach more customers to help increase sales, and finally a stable fan base that's growing to put more people in the stands so the series gets more front gate money.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It seems like manufacturer supported racing is a dying business model.
    Why should any of the manufacturers foot the bill for Ben to go racing? While he is still a world class talent, Suzuki and Yamaha would have little to gain by bringing him onboard, they already have winning riders.
    I could see it being of value to Kawasaki or Ducati but would it increase sales by enough to foot the bill for the whole deal?

I don’t think Motorcycle sales are as bad as the doom and gloom bunch say they are. Sport bike sales seem to be though, they just have evolved past what is useful and justifiable for John Q to purchase. People are buying bikes that make sense, ADV bikes, naked bikes and the like.

snikwad and turbulence like this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And ones they can afford to insure, that don’t generate a four digit repair cost for tipping over in the driveway.

Bloodhound, rcarson15, 5axis and 2 others like this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Been wondering the same thing for two pages.

These guys are unbelievable. I wish I could find the thread(s) where they were bitching when it was announced that Elias was crossing the ocean to steal American jobs. Now everybody loves him. :D

snikwad likes this.
  7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Not "Everybody"..

SpeedyE, tophyr and turner38 like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

World Endurance could use him and it's a good place to test his shoulders and get his "track day" time in.

Not gonna get rich or even make all that much cash really but it's a good place to get in front of the teams and factories.

snikwad likes this.
  9. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

One could make an argument that he owes something to roadracing in the USA. I'm not saying I would, but it isn't unreasonable.

Dragginass likes this.
  10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok make it!

11. Dragginass

I don't think he "owes" US roadracing anything. But when you look at the racers Hayes mentors, when you look at what Mladin does, when you look at the Hayden clan..................it becomes clear who actually loves the sport and wants it to thrive and who still has more selfish motives. I don't think Spies is "wrong", but it's a stark contrast we can all see.

SpeedyE, snikwad, Bloodhound and 10 others like this.
  12. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I'm sure Army of Darkness would give him a test ride at Barber if he wanted to see if he still has what it takes.

-steve

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Finally someone calling out MotoAmerica for the failure it is so far. Truth often hurts.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Mot Okstef likes this.
  14. Dragginass

How is it a failure? Has it not improved every year since inception?

mike574, turbulence and 418 like this.
  15. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

He is or was mentor for Cam boobie

16. Dragginass

Never seen him at a MA race. Not saying it didn't happen, but whatever the case, his involvement isn't near what the others I mentioned are doing.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Most of us try to find the job that we have the skills or training to do that will pay the most, so we can pay the bills and get some extra enjoyment out of life, if possible. In many cases, it's not something we love and there is something else we'd rather be doing if we could. Why are expectations different sports? It's not some kind of higher calling.

Not saying he doesn't love motorcycle racing, just asking in general.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok, so take a look at the 20 plus guys racing AMA Superbike in the years Ben won his 3 championships how many of those others are out helping MA? So is Ben in the minority or the majority here?

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. Dragginass

That's a false premise. How many of "those other guys" keep teasing/talking/ about returns to racing? For example, the Bostroms are clearly out of racing, but they also don't run their mouths about comebacks for the right price. That's the difference.

jd41, Mot Okstef, turbulence and 2 others like this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ben and Matt and Haga to ride the Suzuki 8h.

That would be Epic.

Quicktoy likes this.