1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Toe' posted that while watching Gigli on TV.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The Ducati principal? I don't understand what is going on here.

3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I've heard this from a few people within the paddock as well. The interest from the only two factories in MA has been waning, especially with none of the other factories seeming interested in coming into MA.

4. I would love to see The Ben on a Graves ZX10 in MotoAmerica.

They constantly talk about how the R1 is down on power/top end compared to the Yosh bikes. They would also get their feelings hurt by a Graves built ZX10RR.

jd41 likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

why does that interview read like it was translated to Italian then back to English...

I wish Spies would stop bringing up him racing again every time someone puts a mic under his nose. hes not doing anyone any favors with this. if he wants to help the sport in America, go buy two Ducatis, a trailer, hire a crew, and run MA like Kyle Wyman is doing. we need more paying rides, more rigs, and more sponsors in the series. poaching an existing seat and demanding a large paycheck won't help anyone. hell, if he really wants to help, he should find enough sponsorship to pay for 2 rides so he can hire a younger rider.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I don’t want to see The Ben racing back in America. What is he doing, trying to scrape together a few dollars in the twilight of his career? He should be racing in Europe.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I think this all boils down to him wanting to race but the injury will never allow it. All of us could understand how it would feel to wake up one morning and be told you are never racing again

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just don’t tell your bank what your phone number is... ;)

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Would it be good for the series...yep. would it be good for the sponsors...yep. would it be good for Ben's bank account...yep. could he run the table... nope.

10. I agree with everything you said, except the part in bold.

While I haven't seen Ben say it in so many words, I am sure he is of the same opinion as guys like Mladin, Hodgson, and many others...in that what the sport needs is LESS paying rides. Mladin and Hodgson were very vocal in their opinion about that. The felt racing was their job, they were professionals providing a service, and should be paid as such.

What the sport needs, is what Ben is trying to do, bring sponsors/OEMs/support into the sport so there will be more quality seats, available to guys who truly deserve them, so guys can be paid to race like the professionals they are.

Why in the hell should Ben (or anyone) come out of retirement, spend hundreds of thousands of their own money, not to mention risk their own lives, to provide entertainment and revenue for others?

I would love to see Ben's response if someone asked him "why don't you just go buy everything with your own money, then grid up and race so we can watch you?".

I am assuming by "paying rides" you meant riders paying for seats. If you actually meant riders getting paid to race, then I agree with everything you said, and disregarding this post.

Nick_OMC and VFR#52 like this.
  11. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I get the impression Ben thinks MA is beneath him and he could win every race. Maybe that's not accurate, but I really don't like the way he comes across these days, and I'm a Spies fan. Even if he was on a Yosh bike, my money would still be on Elias.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Shane Byrne. It sucks and I hate it for him but it's been great having him as commentary and the Shakey Show podcast is one of the best there is. Love it when these guys can stay connected to the sport.

As for starting a team and putting back into the sport I give you Matt Mladin Racing. His boy took a nasty tumble but Matt is all in.

If Ben hasn't come back with a team or himself on the bike it's not for lack of trying I think.

Dave250 likes this.
  13. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I think Toni is every bit his equal, and I’m saying that as a Ben fan ( but I’m not a fanboi).

snikwad, TurboBlew and Dragginass like this.
  14. stangmx13

Ya I meant riders getting paid. Sry for not being clear.

I said he should buy some bikes because at this point, I don’t think Ben could get paid to ride. Hayes doesn’t seem to be and he doesn’t have a career ending injury and was retired for far less time. The market isn’t there to throw that kind of money around for such a rider. So if Ben wants back in, he should run his own team and try to make it pencil.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

A rider with a wsbk championship under he belt is probably to proud to pull a mil or 2 out of his pocket to go MA racing. But if someone is willing to foot the bill for everything else with good equipment but his salary he may do it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Ah ok, I gotcha. Then disregard my post, I agree with everything you said. :beer:

17. That's the feeling I get also, and I don't blame him.

He is a big name that is known around the world, and an attraction. He could generate a good bit of exposure for the series and a lot of sponsors.

If I was in his shoes, I would feel the same. I would be like "My life is ok as is. While I would love to race again, I am in not in a position where I must do so. I am not going to break my own bank and risk my own life to put on a show and generate revenue for others. If you want me there, and want to win, prove it".

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

article said he would do some trackday(s) to get up to speed...
    Can you imagine seeing him at a riders meeting? :)
    Got to respect how he can call Yosh and ask about a test ride. He just gave @Steeltoe a whole flurry of idears :)

SpeedyE and turbulence like this.
  19. stangmx13

That’s the sad part. MA doesn’t need influencers that are too proud to help. It still needs to be all hands on deck to build this series.

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I hate to say it but if Toni hadn't joined the series the whole thing might have ended by this season

rcarson15, jd41 and stangmx13 like this.