1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 MotoGP Changes - Biggest change ONE Helmet standard

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

it doesn't, it was just the first thread i saw that said MotoGP 2019 in the title haha. i got over-zealous man

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

anyways, saw that a few days ago on speedweek and I've been laughing about it ever since.

What a complete tool. :crackup:

3. Sweatypants

LOL i literally cannot stop laughing. especially because me and my girl have had numerous conversations about his looks/vanity in the past. me scrolling thru my feed one night and she goes, "ooo who is that sexy guy?" to which i give the whole background. then we started really taking notice of all his instagram modelling selfies. even when he's legitimately hurt and in the hospital he still be trying to pose there sexy like a godamn idiot hahaha. i get it... he's an italian creeper soaking up the fame and ladies, but i still kinda don't even get it haha. what a ridiculous idiot...

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

7. Sweatypants

look... eff both of you! as far as i'm concerned, this should be a stickied topic for a time period no less than 2 weeks, so it is easily accessible for all. the world needs this laughter right now.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

oh, I agree. It's funnier than watching a prius with a "Save the Earth" bumper sticker and a hatch full of pot burn on the side of the road while four hippies stand watching.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

tried to read it but it's a bit confusing to say the least and I"m a bit more knowledgeable about helmets and standards than most. My takeaway is that SNELL is pissed that it's not possible to meet the FIM standard and their 2020 standard at the same time. So manufacturers would have to choose between FIM and SNELL.

Also that they (SNELL) want to see more testing that lower impact forces would relate to lower injuries???

"or scientific findings establish that lower energy management will not increase the danger of serious head injury."

11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah sounds like Snell is butthurt because the FIM knows Snell helmets are bowling balls and are much too stiff. Will be interesting to see how this evolves.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

This has been a central issue for a long time. The old (current?) DOT minimums allow for better low speed impacts due to lower density, softer if you will, foam. Snell can handle higher speed impacts but that means low speed impacts transmit more Gs. Make a helmet with a soft layer inside a stiff layer of foam and wrap it all inside a helmet the size of a beach ball....that ought to work.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Tried, tested and proven at ludicrous speed.

Motofun352 and Mot Okstef like this.
  14. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

@roy826ex is that you? :D

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Could be a family member I dunno I’ll have to check into it or maybe you could do it for me with all your spare time and all.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep

17. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

See comments above from @G 97 . Do you work for the FIM Safety Department? How much are they paying you? :moon:

roy826ex likes this.