1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching between Pirelli slicks and dots

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Jun 20, 2019.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I currently use the supercorsa dot race tires, sc2 front and sc1 rear. If i switch to the superbike slicks in the same compound are the tires similar? Or am I going to be chasing setup? This is on a 600. Reason I ask is the tire guy is out of dots and willing to substitute slicks.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The tire guy should know the answer to this question.

For my take: the compounds are different, but they should be close enough in dimensions and construction that you won't be chasing setup issues. This is assuming you are running the same size in both compounds. Make sure you set the pressures properly, as the recommended pressures will be a bit different. The Superbike slick will most likely want 1-2 lb in the front than the dot. The vendor should post the recommended pressures at your event if they are there.

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

dot race is like a slick with the sipes cut it in. dimensions are the same. Ski

VFR#52, 5axis and TLR67 like this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Why are you using a harder front? That seems backwards.

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

This. I made no setup changes. Though there supposed to be basically the same, I like the slicks a lot better.

I use the harder front as well. I've tried the sc1 front, but I get better front end feel from the harder sc2 ... very reminiscent of my beloved, but discontinued, Dunlop UK NTEC. That said, most of my buddies use the sc1 front with good success. Imho, it comes down to personal preference.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Really common with pirelli actually.
    Pirelli are really soft so the harder compound front is a little more stable under breaking and entry.

Odilup and DucatiBomber like this.
  7. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

It was recommended to me to use SC2 of front and SC1 on rear of RSV4 by tire vendor with Pirelli slicks.

8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Aren't the superbike slicks a trackday tire with harder compound.

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i was recommended the same sc2 front, and sc1 rear. i ended up preferring sc 1 front and sc2 rear, for most temps. when it gets warmer i prefer sc1, front and rear. havent been able to try the sc0, or sc3. it is like oil, choose YOUR poison. Ski

10. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

You might be thinking of the Superbike Pros.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  11. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

As long as you're comparing apples to apples, they are the same dimensions and same compounds. For example, there shouldn't be a difference between the SC1 compound when comparing slicks versus DOTs.

I will note that they might come in different sizes, and that would be something you'd need to account for. For example, the slicks come in a 200/60, but the DOTs only come in a 200/55. You mentioned a 600, though, so I imagine you're riding on a 180. Depending on what you're riding, you can get the same size in either tire. I use the 180/60 slicks. Note that these are the same dimensions as the 180/60 DOTs, but the slicks do have a couple of more options for compounds if you wanted (really just SC3 and Qualifying).

https://www.pirelliracer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-Pirelli-RR-Fitment-guide.pdf

12. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

The Superbike slicks are definitely a racing tire. They come in the various SC compounds.
    https://www.pirelliracer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-Pirelli-RR-Fitment-guide.pdf

The Supercorsa TD tires (which are DOTs) are geared more towards someone who only does trackdays instead of racing. The TD compound is unique to this tire.
    https://www.pirelliracer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-Pirelli-TD-Fitment.pdf

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ah no, there is a lot of flexibility with front and rear compounds and their use.

ekraft84 likes this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You're right, and these are the same tires Bautista is using to win so many WSBK races:D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The Superbike Pros that have been gone for what 6 years?

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

17. svracer22

18. svracer22

I'm going to try the slicks. Sounds like they are the same dimensionally and close in feel.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Oops I forgot to comment. The tires are the same dimensions while the compounds and constructions are a bit different. But at most peeps level you probably won't feel much difference. At Wsbk supersport level those riders probably would.
    And the DOTs are around so you can get them later after he restocks

20. 2OLD2BFAST

2OLD2BFAST Well-Known Member

I have gone back and forth between the two as for a long time there were race orgs that required DOT's for Superstock and allowed Slicks for Superbike classes. No significant difference at all on Pirellis, but then again I am way to old to be fast.