1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Balancing Stand

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ethan Wakefield, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Ethan Wakefield

Ethan Wakefield Active Member

What are you guys using??

I have the POS harbor freight one and I swear it’s warped.

Any suggestions?

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No-Mar balancer came in my package with their changer.

3. Maximumjeff

Maximumjeff Well-Known Member

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Handy Industries Stand.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Used Jackstands for years and Marc Parnes spindle.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

buy some $2 torpedo levels check the vert and horiz runs... also put better bearings on it...

Ethan Wakefield likes this.
  7. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Marc Parnes and Jack Stands

8. Ethan Wakefield

The Marc Parnes look nice. About the same price as Motion Pro and Bike Master. You guys would choose Marc Parnes over those?

9. TurboBlew

if youre gona get another... tusk makes a nice unit with the adjustable legs and truing capabilities. The MP unit is nice but incomplete imho... and Ive never seen a tire vendor use one

10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

That's the stand I have. Works well for me.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. Ethan Wakefield

So I took my wheel to the Indian dealership by my house to have them balance it. It only too 14 grams (and a 6 pack). That's almost negligible right?

On my stand I was getting that it was balanced with no weights.

12. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

My street cred says that's .5 oz. :cool: Not much weight at all. I find static balancing and spin balancing usually end up being a little different. In my experience that's not enough weight to matter much, unless said weight was put on the wrong place.

TurboBlew and Ethan Wakefield like this.
  13. TurboBlew

did you check it on your machine?

14. palomartian

palomartian Member

Get a proper stand with bearings and toss the included rod. The rod/cone setup might work for a while, but eventually they fail. Wear, flex, set screw dimples, etc. all combine to throw them off. You'll know it's trash when you hold the wheel, spin the rod 180º, and the balance point changes. Some do this from new. Buy some metric drill rod in the size of your axles and use that. You will need to put it in a lathe and polish it with emery cloth so it's not an interference fit, then cut it to the desired length. You will end up with some cut offs that make perfect tools for aligning one side of the wheel in the fork/swingarm and retaining any loose spacers while you work the axle in from the other side.

Phl218, TurboBlew and Ethan Wakefield like this.
  15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The benefit of the Parnes... All Metal cones and all... I had someone actually give me the Parnes I have 15 plus years ago.. I don't think the Motion pro's or Harbor freights were out there.

16. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Just received a Tusk balancer Saturday. Seems to work great. It did take 2 oz's to get it balanced though. Probably due to all of the marine grade silicone and tape sealer I used to make them tubeless (17" spoked supermoto wheels).

TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

It's not like spoke wheels are always the truest to begin with.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Huh? Spoke wheel rims are much different in the bead fitting area than a tubeless rim, just saying.

19. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

A lesson learned the hard way is rarely forgotten.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

These are helpful...
    [​IMG]

Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.