1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rowdier crowd: Le Mans or Mugello

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jun 12, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I read something recently that stated the Le Mans round of MotoGP was even more nuts than Mugello. Can anyone back this up?

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin Well-Known Member

Not the case based on my experience. Mugello 2018 far and away crazier than Le Mans 2019.

3. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Mugello is a lot of fun, A lot. But LeMans is in a different league all together. Its the sort of event where a week later people are still staggering out of the woods dazed, confused, and not entirely sure where they are or why they're there other than a vague recollection of motorcycles going in circles.
    Imagine combining an old school carnival circus with a GP race weekend and then sprinkle the whole thing with magic mushrooms and homemade pastis. Then have David Lynch direct it and you'd be halfway to how surreal and awesome the LeMans GP is, or was the last time I went.

Mugello is better for general admission spectating and hotels. Both should be experienced by any GP fan.

scottn and BigBird like this.
  4. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I don't know about LeMans, but I went to Mugello and COTA this year and it wasn't even a comparison.

5. Depends on what you mean by rowdier.

My experience is that the crowds in Southern Europe are more exuberant during qualifying and racing than the crowds in Central Europe; however the nighttime shenanigans at Central Europe tracks are less restrained ;) than in Southern Europe.

The Italian and Spanish crowds are into happy fun at night - the crowds farther North are crazy. Assen in particular is quite the wild party.

Having said that, if no-restraint madness is what you’re looking for, the campgrounds around the track in Czech Republic are scenes of extreme chaos, decadence, and debauchery :D

Phl218 likes this.
  6. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

I cant speak for Le Mans GP but the 24hrs is nuts. If you are into racing cars or bikes it ahould be on you bucket list.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You might be confusing the GP with the 24 hours.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Both cases have significant chances of you seeing fat, hairy drunk/high Europeans wearing Speedos. Depends if you prefer them to be French or Italian :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  9. The Beer Hunter

24hrs is this week.

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I took a tent and sleeping bag, jumped on a train and went to the German GP one year. It was f@ckin rowdy all night there. Fireworks, burn out pits, big tents like they have at the beer fests with scantily clad/sometimes topless girls dancing on stage. There were dirtbikes ripping through the campgrounds all night weaving between tents and a huge long trough that someone hung on a chain link fence for everyone to go piss in lol. I've been to races in a few different countries but that was the best party scene i've encountered.

motion likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

24 hours Moto was in April.

12. The Beer Hunter

I know this is a moto forum but the real 24hrs is this week.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not debating which one has the longer history, I'm trying to answer the OP's question. And I think he was asking about motorcycle races.

motion likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks. Brno is on my list!

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

What I was hoping for, thanks. Great description :)

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You camped at the track?

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

I will have to agree with @cpettit

Sachsenring was by far the highest level of escalation at night. I mean just the beer tent and the strippers.

Germans know how to “make party”

Spectators might be more enthusiastic in Southern Europe but after the races... yup.

And then there’s the 24h of the Nürburgring... that’s 10 levels up

18. The Czechs raise it up several levels over the Germans :eek:

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

Well possible

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin Well-Known Member

No, stayed off track both races.