1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct clicker question

Discussion in 'General' started by Tortuga, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Right, so, for those who fiddle with suspension clickers I have a question. When checking current settings or establishing initial settings do you turn all the way in then count out or turn all the way out then count in?
    To clarify; you want to know how many clicks of compression are currently on your forks. You a) turn the adjuster clockwise and count the number of clicks? Or b) turn the adjuster anti-clockwise and count the number of clicks?
    There's not necessarily a correct answer, just wondering what people do.

2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Was always told out and then count in.

Wait, maybe it was the other way...0

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

T-man and MRP does the clicks from full hard back (go out clockwise till stop and count back). . . I have the settings written down from both stops - basically I go with the smaller number of clicks (whether that be from hard or soft) - it's the reason when I do preload, it's always from full soft (back it out counterclockwise and then count up). . .my laziness can be pretty petty sometimes. . .:D.

cajun636 likes this.
  4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm no suspension guy but it would seem to me, more logical to start from a full closed/ hard position as your home.

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Always count from all the way in. Closed is closed on a taper needle screw, all the way out is not a consistent starting point. Especially on older forks rebound adjusters where cap position on the damper rod determines how much adjustment you have.

tophyr, Bruce, cajun636 and 1 other person like this.
  6. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Paging Uncle Clarence.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In then out.

8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yes full in,as you turn in count how many turns in, like two turns or two and a half turns ect.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Comp and rebound turn them all the way in until closed and then clicks/turns out.

Preload it's reversed....backed all the way out and then numbers of turns in.

tophyr and Bruce like this.
  10. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Why don't they just put numbers on the clickers so then you know for example, at Track A the clicker is set at 5, and at Track B the clicker is set at 4?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

11. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Maybe because you have more than one turn in total adjustment

12. Livengood does the same. He counts backwards from full stiff.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I will not make a smartass remark...I will not make a smartass remark...

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

^^This^^

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.
  15. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

:stupid:

16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The manufacturers of suspension components supply spec sheets and all of the clicker settings are clicks (or turns, depending) out from fully closed (clockwise). Be careful with forks - if you turn them in hard to get that final zero click, you can damage the needle. If you feel like the screw wants to stop, stop and back out to the previous detent, call that zero.

Odilup and Triple X like this.
  17. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

My very first experience as a new track rider, a long time ago haha, I broke the adjuster for low speed compression on the rear shock by turning in too much.

18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

It's just a Needle valve, like a hydraulic jack, so no need to over tighten.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I thought I remembered that some hi or was it low speed adjusters on some Penske shocks might be the opposite from the typically clicks out from fully clockwise though. But as mentioned, their manual will make note of it.

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I thought you always counted from full soft.