1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rich white folks....at it again

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, May 19, 2017.

1. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Sailboats are like electric motorcycles, electric race cars and bicycles to me. Boring.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

It's ok, we need good dock boys.

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. joec

joec brace yourself

It looks like they were on a jibe/tack. I can't tell without different sails. But yeah you can see the last guy or two on the other side. That pic is old. New boats are monos. But the cats would spin like they were on rails. They would jibe on stay on the foils.

I think that's a jibe based on the staysail.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  4. Must be in the genes :). That’s awesome making it yourself.

5. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Same here. I love watching those volvo ocean race boats doing their thing when running through the southern ocean. Crazy bastards!

6. joec

joec brace yourself

Sydney Hobart happening. Those maxis are rediculous.

7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

They are on a starboard tack. Why do you think they are tacking (coming about), or jibing?
    When taching - the eye of the wind passes across the front or Bow of the boat.
    Jibbing- done while sailing 'off' or away, or more 'with' the wind, as in downwind, and the eye of the with passes the stern/rear of the boat. No sailboat sails straight upwind, that's why they tack.
    A boat can sail directly downwind- however it is slower than sailing 'off' the wind- using lift on the sails generates way more speed than sailing straight down wind, and you 'jibe' back and forth to make your destination, or 'mark' rounding in sailboat racing.

IF they had just tacked or jibed, they are already on the starboard tack, with the crews weight on the windward hull, where they should be.
    They look to be sailing upwind wind (requires tacking) due to the jib (forward sail), is fairly close- hauled.
    I admit however that due to the speed of foiling, even sailng off the wind on these rocketships, the sails stay pretty close hauled.- Hence why they don't even fly asym. spinakers off the wind anymore.

Don't ask me how I know.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Livestream? Links?

9. joec

joec brace yourself

There's stuff on YouTube.. The race takes a day or two for the fast class. There only thing I think you can watch live is the start and finish. But there's a live tracker on the Rolex site I think.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Speaking of...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/..._JsklEpaKnfWi0vnzveJCXjDTpc-TmsGxjD2uVJMwT70k
    "A luxury superyacht owned by an Italian billionaire was lost at sea after it slipped from a cargo ship into the Mediterranean. My Song, a 40-meter (130-foot) Baltic 130 Custom sailing yacht, owned by the fashion heir Pier Luigi Loro Piana, was being transported between the Spanish island of Mallorca and the Italian city of Genoa when the incident occurred. It was the final leg of its voyage from the Caribbean, according to media reports supported by maritime tracking data.

The yacht was the holder of several awards and titles, including Best Yacht at the World Superyacht Awards, and also set a speed record during last year's RORC Transatlantic Race."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why the fuck wouldn't you just sail your "superyacht" instead of putting it on a fucking cargo vessel?

That's as bad as shipping packing peanuts.

Jon Wilkens, joec and kangasj like this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Cheaper and less risky than crewing it I spose. Oh wait.

13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

He had to get back to his minimum wage jawb :D

Mot Okstef and Sabre699 like this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Baller! :crackup:

motoracer1100 likes this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

He's an entitled fuck who couldn't captain a vessel if his life depended on it.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Mono-hulls + cloth sails. Keep it real.

Sydney to Hobart.:clap:

Cheers,

Dave

17. joec

joec brace yourself

I saw that. Pretty incredible. It might have been going for refitting or something else.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Prolly had sand in the bidet.
    :D

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Can they even salvage that thing? If it was a stripped down racer it might be but all the finery is wrecked. Might as well build another one?

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That makes a lot of sense as the combination of materials (carbon, titanium) and design (air flows, water flows, drag) are under the engineering problem solving umbrella. Especially all within a very 'loose' set of guidelines.