1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcyclist Magazine To Cease Publication

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, May 26, 2019.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

motorcyclist stopped being relevent 20 years ago....I like my paper magazines but I'm down to RRW.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Didn't even know they were still in print.

418 likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How many magazines are actually in print at all anymore? Compared to 10 years ago, I bet something like 70% or better are either gone or online only. It's a dead media.

5. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Haven't even looked at any America motorcycle mags for decades....they suck. Give me Brit mags any day.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

John’s World does not suck your arse

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea, I still subscribe to and really enjoy RRW.

8. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Cycle world is now quarterly and pretty dang good.

9. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I remember last year they tried to revamp their publications to be more highend, however, I think they were screwed when Henning and Courts left for Motor Trend. I bet they lost a good chunk of their online content viewership with their departure.

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for my Cycle duffel bag. It was free with my paid renewal circa 1990. Must be lost in the mail.

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

Weird, I got mine.

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I picked one up at an airport prior to a trip last year. The magazine looked great, but was pretty light on content overall.

Only thing I would consider subscribing to is RRW.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I would bet that those two were told you have the option of moving to Motor Trend or...

14. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Funny, I went to buy a Cycle World yesterday in the airport. Thumbed through it and then looked at the cover and price. $11.99! WTF? Put it back in the rack and walked away. If they want to keep the print version going, jacking the price up isn’t the way to do it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

What makes you say that?

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Kinda sad in a way, was a time Motorcyclist, Cycle and Cycle world did a lot to promote motorcycling. Back in the late 70’ when I first got interested in bikes every issue was read cover to cover, great reading by Freidman, Eagan, Karr, JUand even the Dirtbike magazines had great writers and storytellers such as Jody Weisel and others.
    You dont see much of that online.
    Seemed like at that time they had a better balance of content than they do now. The bike test articles would actually tell you something about the bikes, the other articles would share with you they joys of motorcycling. Probably had a lot to do with the motorcycle boom we saw back then.
    JMO

Only Magazine I subscribe to now and read is RRW. Of Course the AMA crap comes in the mail, but havent ever cared much for it.

zrx12man likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Because the editors and test riders from both Sport Rider and M/C could see the writing on the wall years ago. And I remember when one magazine made a full court press in like 2014 traveling across the country to every one in the industry begging for ad dollars.

Senna likes this.
  18. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Kevin Cameron still does a regular column for Cycle World online. Good stuff.

pscook likes this.
  19. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

When the Brit mags went the way of the dodo bird, it was a pretty sure sign that the rest of the industry would crap out.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What? Where did the dodo go?